Question about how we see materials and absorption

In summary, Griffith goes over dispersion/absorption in terms of the oscillating electron model. He says that transparent materials have their significant resonances in the ultraviolet, which makes sense to me as to why we can see through them, they don't really absorb any visible light so it passes right through them. He also says that a materials colour depends where on the spectrum their resonance frequencies lie. My confusion comes in when I try to think of a black material. I don't see any colour coming from it, yet I can't see through it. Is it that the resonance frequencies are so scattered across the spectrum that it doesn't show any distinct color?
adgalati
In griffith's introduction to electrodynamics, he goes over dispersion/absorption using the oscillating electron model. I understand the theory but I am confused about how it relates to how materials appear to us. He says that the material will be practically opaque in the frequency range with maximum absorption due to the large dissipation of energy from resonance. Then he says transparent materials have their significant resonances in the ultraviolet, which makes sense to me as to why we can see through them, they don't really absorb any visible light so it passes right through them. So from this, my understanding is that a materials color depends where on the spectrum their resonance frequencies lie. My confusion comes in when I try to think of a black material. I don't see any color coming from it, yet I can't see through it. Is it that the resonance frequencies are so scattered across the spectrum that it doesn't show any distinct color?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
We can see through materials that do not absorb any visible wavelengths.
Black coloured materials absorb all visible wavelengths they meet, well done.

Thank You! However now I am confused about white materials. I was given to believe that white light was all of the visible wavelengths, so I had assumed that they would be absorbing all wavelengths as well. Am I correct in that reasoning or is there another explanation?

The model you are looking at is too simple to account for all the ways materials may be coloured.

i.e. Not all light is absorbed - the rest may be transmitted, reflected, or scattered.
So far you have been considering the colour of a material on transmission - so you are thinking more of a transparent material with a coloured tint.
If the material blocks all light, i.e. by absorbing it all, then it is "dark" ... we are looking at the shadow side.
We wouldn't really think of it as being coloured black.

Very few materials are white on transmission, we'd think of a white translucence rather than a tint.
White translucence is typically due to multiple scattering before the light can pass through the material - i.e. clouds, or frosted glass.

When you see the colour of the brightly lit surface, you are looking at scattered light (this is usually called the diffuse colour).
Absorption has the strongest effect on this - so the colour that gets scattered is pretty much determined by the wavelengths absorbed.

Sometimes you will see a shimmery colour that is different from the diffuse colour - this is called the specular colour, results from reflection of the outer surface.
An object that reflects everywhere in the visible spectrum is what we call called a mirror... though, in physics, we only care that it reflects the wavelengths of interest.

There are more complicated effects, like iridescence ... in that case there is often interference between different layers of material.

I see. I had assumed that, as in many other areas of physics, one model cannot explain all phenomena. Thank you!

There is this idea in physics that there is one theory that will explain/model all phenomena ... that is to say: that all other models can be derived from. This is known as the Grand Unified Theory, and we are not even close to finding one, though some people have high hopes for string theory.

At the level you are working at - it's more that you are introduced to approximate models to get you used to the way of thinking and the maths before anyone tells you the real, inclusive, theory ... in this case, it's quantum mechanical.

Yes, I'm in my last semester of a BS in physics so I still have a lot to learn! I am taking an optics course now so hopefully I'll be able to get a better general idea about this subject

Likes Simon Bridge
Enjoy.

1. How do we see materials?

We see materials through the process of reflection and absorption of light. When light hits an object, some of it is absorbed, while the rest is reflected. The reflected light then enters our eyes, allowing us to see the material.

2. What is absorption?

Absorption is the process in which light is taken in and converted into heat energy by a material. This occurs when the material's molecules absorb the energy from the light, causing them to vibrate and generate heat.

3. Why do some materials appear to have different colors?

The color of a material is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects and absorbs. For example, a material that reflects all wavelengths of light will appear white, while a material that absorbs all wavelengths will appear black. Different combinations of absorption and reflection create the various colors we see in materials.

4. How does the texture of a material affect its absorption of light?

The texture of a material can affect its absorption of light by changing the amount of surface area available for light to interact with. Rough or porous materials have more surface area, leading to more opportunities for light to be absorbed. Smooth materials, on the other hand, have less surface area and therefore absorb less light.

5. Can the color of a material change due to its absorption of light?

Yes, the color of a material can change depending on the type and amount of light it absorbs. For example, if a material absorbs more blue light, it will appear more red to our eyes. This is because the material is absorbing the opposite color of blue, which is red, and reflecting the rest of the light. This phenomenon is known as subtractive color mixing.