Question about induction cooker

In summary, an aluminium saucepan might feel slightly lighter with the cooker powered on, but it is not suitable for induction cooktops because it does not get hot if sufficiently thick.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

My book said that when an aluminium sheet of thickness 0.5 mm is placed on a induction cooker, it will float and be heat up.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think there is a net repulsive force from the eddy current. When the B field from the induction cooker decrease in magnitude, the eddy current tends to produce a B field in the same direction as the decreasing B field in order to resist change. Therefore, the B field from the eddy current and the induction cooker are in the same direction and attract each other. So half of the cycle is attractive and half is repulsive.
Why am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution that I have thought is very complicated to explain. It involves skin effect, transformer phasor diagram and geometry of the B field at the site of eddy current. I am waiting for someone to come up with a simpler explanation.

Last edited:
Clara Chung said:
My book said that when an aluminium sheet of thickness 0.5 mm is placed on a induction cooker, it will float and be heat up.
Anyone have an induction cooker they can try this, using aluminium foil? Take care in case it becomes heated.

If the claim is true, an aluminium saucepan might feel slightly lighter with the cooker powered on.

NascentOxygen said:
Anyone have an induction cooker they can try this, using aluminium foil? Take care in case it becomes heated.
I just tried it, and it does indeed "float." Actually, the induction cooker works in bursts, so the aluminum foil kept jumping. I didn't try it for long, but I did feel a slight heating.

NascentOxygen said:
If the claim is true, an aluminium saucepan might feel slightly lighter with the cooker powered on.
Actually, my stove doesn't work with aluminum pans. The material has to be magnetic for it to work. (In the case of the aluminum foil, it worked for a few seconds before the stove stopped because it didn't detect any pan.)

Clara Chung said:
the B field from the eddy current and the induction cooker are in the same direction and attract each other
Is that right? If I place two magnets next to each other, N next to N and S next to S, the fields are in the same direction and repel.
Clara Chung said:
and be heat up.
Aluminium cookware is not suitable for induction cooktops because it does not get hot if sufficiently thick (0.5mm is enough).

DrClaude said:
The material has to be magnetic for it to work.
For it to work properly for cooking, yes, but I expected with Al there may still be a detectable ∆w, albeit slight. Miniscule, even.
(Inthe case of the aluminum foil, it worked for a few seconds before the stove stopped because it didn't detect any pan.)
I see, thank you. So if the steel pot didn't cover the whole pad there would be room to sit a disc of Al beside it to observe it levitating longer?

Clara Chung said:
Therefore, the B field from the eddy current and the induction cooker are in the same direction and attract each other. So half of the cycle is attractive and half is repulsive.
This would be true if the B field and the eddy current are exactly 90 degrees out of phase. However, due to self-inductance of the aluminum sheet, the phase difference is not exactly 90 degrees. The result is that during a cycle, there is a greater time of repulsion compared to attraction. So, the force does not average to zero, but averages to a net repulsive force.

This is the same effect as the "hovering ring" demonstration, starting at time 3:40 in this video.

Likes cnh1995

What is an induction cooker?

An induction cooker is a type of stove that uses electromagnetic induction to heat up and cook food. It has a flat, smooth surface and does not have open flames like traditional gas stoves.

How does an induction cooker work?

An induction cooker works by using an alternating electric current to create a magnetic field. This magnetic field then heats up the cooking vessel, which in turn heats up the food inside. The heat is generated directly in the cooking vessel, making it a more efficient way of cooking compared to gas or electric stoves.

What are the advantages of using an induction cooker?

Induction cookers are more energy-efficient, as they only heat up the cooking vessel and not the surrounding air, making them faster and more precise. They are also safer, as there are no open flames and the surface stays cool to the touch. Induction cookers are also easier to clean, as spills do not burn onto the surface.

Are there any limitations to using an induction cooker?

One limitation of using an induction cooker is that it only works with certain types of cookware, such as those made of ferromagnetic materials like cast iron or stainless steel. It also requires a stable and consistent power source to function properly.

Can an induction cooker be used for all types of cooking?

While an induction cooker can be used for most types of cooking, it may not be suitable for certain specialized cooking methods, such as using a wok or canning. It is best to check the manufacturer's guidelines for specific recommendations on what can and cannot be cooked on an induction cooker.