Question about Lagrangean dynamics(inertia matrix)

• Thread starter supernova1387
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: For example, in my equation of motion, θ is measured in radians while γ is measured in degrees. So whenever I have a θ variable and a γ variable, they will be in different units. My stiffness matrix will also be in different units because it is measuring in kg/m^2 while my mass matrix is measuring in kg.
supernova1387
I have a 3 degree of freedom system and my equation of motion is like this:

M(q)q_dd + C(q,q_d)q_d+G(q)=0

M(q): inertia matrix
C(q,q_d): Coriolis-centrifugal matrix
G(q): potential matrix.

where q_d is the first derivative of q etc and q is a vector of my variables.

q=[θ,γ,a]T

"θ" and "γ" are angles in (rad) and "a" is length in (m).

Now my question is this: I have 3 equations with 3 unknowns but 2 variables are in terms of angles and 1 in terms of distance, so the elements of my inertia matrix don't have the same units. Is that wrong? I mean each equation is consistent in units. The first 2 have units of kg(m/s)^2 while the 3rd has units of kg(m/s^2). I can make the whole thing dimensionless but I read somewhere that the inertia matrix should be symmetric(which it is symmetric at the moment). If I make my equation of motion dimensionless then inertia matrix won't be symmetric anymore. What shall I do?

Any suggestions are welcome

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's perfectly OK to have variables in different units. Just go with the consistent and symmetric matrices.

If you want to see a fully worked out example of this sort of thing, Google for the the formulation for the mass and stiffness of a cantilever beam with displacement and rotation variables at each end. You should be able to find it worked out both by "mechanics of materials" and Lagrangian methods, and of course both will give the same matrices if all the other assumptions about the system are the same.

AlephZero said:
It's perfectly OK to have variables in different units. Just go with the consistent and symmetric matrices.

If you want to see a fully worked out example of this sort of thing, Google for the the formulation for the mass and stiffness of a cantilever beam with displacement and rotation variables at each end. You should be able to find it worked out both by "mechanics of materials" and Lagrangian methods, and of course both will give the same matrices if all the other assumptions about the system are the same.

Thank you for your reply. I think this will happen whenever one variable is measuring displacement while the other is measuring rotation even for 2 DOF systems.

1. What is Lagrangean dynamics?

Lagrangean dynamics is a mathematical framework for studying the motion of particles or systems of particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity derived from the Lagrangian function. This approach is used to describe the dynamics of a wide range of physical systems, from celestial bodies to quantum particles.

2. What is the inertia matrix in Lagrangean dynamics?

The inertia matrix, also known as the mass moment of inertia matrix, is a matrix that describes a rigid body's resistance to rotational acceleration about different axes. In Lagrangean dynamics, it is used to calculate the kinetic energy of a rigid body in motion. The diagonal elements of the inertia matrix represent the moments of inertia about the principal axes of the body, while the off-diagonal elements represent the products of inertia.

3. How is the inertia matrix calculated?

The inertia matrix can be computed using the body's mass distribution and its geometry. For a simple shape, such as a sphere or a cylinder, the inertia matrix can be calculated analytically. However, for more complex shapes, numerical methods or experimental measurements may be required. In general, the inertia matrix is a 3x3 symmetric matrix, with the moments of inertia along the body's principal axes as its diagonal elements.

4. How does the inertia matrix affect the dynamics of a system?

The inertia matrix plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a physical system in Lagrangean dynamics. It affects the system's rotational motion, as well as its stability and response to external forces. A system with a higher inertia matrix will require more energy to rotate and may have a slower response to changes in its environment. On the other hand, a system with a lower inertia matrix will be more agile and easier to control.

5. Can the inertia matrix change over time?

Yes, the inertia matrix can change over time if the mass distribution of the system changes. For example, if a rigid body loses or gains mass, its inertia matrix will also change. In systems with moving parts, the inertia matrix may also vary as the body moves and rotates. In such cases, the inertia matrix must be recalculated at each time step to accurately describe the system's dynamics.