Question About Lorentz Contraction: Red vs Blue?

In summary: If object B is moving faster at one end than the other, then the end with the faster speed will contract more. If object B is at rest, then the ends of object B will have the same contraction.
AdirianSoan
TL;DR Summary
Is the distribution of contraction constant across a moving object?
I have a question which I've found very difficult to Google.

The easiest way to frame it I can think of is this:

Given a cylinder moving lengthwise by an observer at some significant fraction of C, with the forward half of the cylinder (relative to the direction of motion) painted red, and the backward half painted blue, would there be a difference in the observed length of red, and the observed length of blue, portions of the cylinder?

My understanding suggests the red portion will appear slightly shorter than the blue to the observer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by "observed". As it is typically used in relativity, meaning that the observer is assumed to correct for varying light speed delay, then both halves are the same length. If you mean what you would actually see directly with a camera (i.e., not correcting for the varying tracel time of light from different parts of the rod), then exactly what you see depends where you stand and what direction the cylinder is moving relative to you. If this is what you were interested in, where were you thinking of standing?

What exactly do you mean by “appear”? In this context it could mean what you actually see as the light leaving different parts of the moving object at slightly different times reaches your eyes at the same time, or it could mean what you determine the lengths to be by considering where the two ends and midpoint of the object are at the same time.

Lorentz contraction refers to the second meaning, and in this sense the red and blue sections will have the same length.

AdirianSoan said:
Summary:: Is the distribution of contraction constant across a moving object?

I have a question which I've found very difficult to Google.

The easiest way to frame it I can think of is this:

Given a cylinder moving lengthwise by an observer at some significant fraction of C, with the forward half of the cylinder (relative to the direction of motion) painted red, and the backward half painted blue, would there be a difference in the observed length of red, and the observed length of blue, portions of the cylinder?

My understanding suggests the red portion will appear slightly shorter than the blue to the observer.

Suppose you look closely and realize that it's not one cylinder but two cylinders glued together. You've painted the first cylinder red and the second blue. Why is the red cylinder more length contracted than the blue one?

@AdirianSoan think about it this way: the Lorentze contraction between two objects depends on their relative speeds, NOT where they are relative to each other. So in the frame of reference of an object A, the Lorentz contraction for the ends of and object B, regardless of how long it is, depends only on the speed of the ends relative to object A.

SO ... if object B is in uniform linear motion relative to A, it's the same for both ends.

1. What is Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when observed from a different frame of reference.

2. What causes Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction is caused by the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the perception of length can be different for different observers depending on their relative velocities.

3. How does Lorentz Contraction affect the perception of color?

Lorentz Contraction does not directly affect the perception of color. However, it can indirectly impact the perception of color due to the Doppler effect, which is the shift in frequency of light waves as an object moves towards or away from an observer. This shift in frequency can cause a change in the perceived color of an object.

4. Why is it called "Red vs Blue" in relation to Lorentz Contraction?

The terms "Red vs Blue" are often used in the context of Lorentz Contraction to refer to the shift in color perception caused by the Doppler effect. This is because when an object is moving towards an observer, the frequency of the light waves increases, causing a shift towards the blue end of the spectrum. Conversely, when an object is moving away from an observer, the frequency decreases, causing a shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

5. Is Lorentz Contraction a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Lorentz Contraction is a real phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through various experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of special relativity and has been successfully used in many practical applications, such as in the design of particle accelerators and GPS systems.