Question about motor efficiency and its electrical "power" rating

In summary, the oven fan motor is rated at 15 watts, which is the input power. It is typically easier to measure and state the input power rather than the output power for most machines, including this oven fan motor.
checkmatescott
i have an oven fan motor and its rated at 15watts, is this output or consuption if its the output whats the efficiency, how many watts is needed to make it run at full capacity thanks i n advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that is the input power. I can't say that I've ever looked at an electrical device and seen a rating for output power that wasn't clearly labeled as such. It wouldn't make much sense to state the output power but not the input, as electrical safety would seem to require that the input be labeled to avoid overloading the circuit.

Likes russ_watters
thank you

Likes russ_watters
Yes, it's input power in normal operation.

Likes sophiecentaur
DaveE said:
Yes, it's input power in normal operation.
For pretty well every kind of machine, the input power is much easier to measure, for a start. Even steam engines have measurable cylinder dimensions and boiler pressure but it's anyones guess how well it will pull trucks up a hill or plough a field. 'Horse Power' used to be based more on a salesman's promise than anything else.

1. What is motor efficiency and why is it important?

Motor efficiency is a measure of how well a motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is important because a more efficient motor will use less energy and save money on electricity costs.

2. How is motor efficiency calculated?

Motor efficiency is calculated by dividing the output power (mechanical power) by the input power (electrical power) and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The higher the percentage, the more efficient the motor is.

3. What is the electrical "power" rating of a motor?

The electrical "power" rating of a motor is the amount of electrical power that the motor can handle without overheating or damaging its components. It is typically measured in watts or horsepower.

4. How does the electrical "power" rating affect motor efficiency?

The electrical "power" rating of a motor does not directly affect its efficiency. However, a motor with a higher electrical "power" rating will be able to handle heavier loads and may have a higher efficiency at those loads.

5. Can the motor efficiency be improved?

Yes, motor efficiency can be improved through regular maintenance, proper lubrication, and using high-quality parts. Additionally, choosing a motor with a higher efficiency rating can also improve overall efficiency.