Question about oscillator circuit

In summary, the individual is a new electronics hobbyist who has built a pulse tone oscillator from a project kit. They have some previous experience with simple circuits but are having difficulty understanding the circuit and how it works. The manual provided with the kit is not detailed enough and the individual is seeking a more thorough explanation. They believe current flows from emitter to base, turning the transistor on and allowing current to flow from emitter to collector and ground. They also mention that the .1uF capacitor is charged from the current coming from the collector, but is discharged immediately. The .047uF capacitor is tapped into the base of the transistor and is charged from the current flowing from emitter to base. The individual also has questions about the output transformer and
cdot
I'm new to electronics and I just bought an electronics project kit and built a pulse tone oscillator (the schematic is attached). The manual doesn't go into very much detail about how the circuit works. I've built a few simple circuits before in physics 2 and I understand how the individual components of the circuit work (transistors, capacitors, etc).I understand how speakers work and I have a built a simple oscillator before with just a capacitor and inductor but I'm having trouble following exactly what is going on. Could someone please give me a detailed explanation of exactly what is happening in this circuit? All the manual says is that the .047 uF cap is rapidly charged and discharged and that the feedback control circuit is key. Here is what I think I know: current flows from emitter to base turning the transistor on and allowing current to flow from emitter to collector and to ground. the .1uF capacitor is charged from the current coming from the collector but I think it would be immediately disharged? The .047uF capacitor is tapped into the base of the transistor and is charged from the current flowing from emitter to base...That' s about all I have. I also don't understand why the output transformer has two terminals plugged into the positive side of the battery. Is there two individual coils? Is the alternating current provided by the oscillator going through both? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy

Attachments

• oscilator.jpg
    oscilator.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 462
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Question about oscillator circuit

1. How does an oscillator circuit work?

An oscillator circuit is a type of electronic circuit that generates a periodic, repetitive waveform without any external input. It consists of a feedback loop with an amplifier and a frequency-selective element, such as a capacitor or inductor, which allows the circuit to sustain oscillations at a specific frequency.

2. What is the purpose of an oscillator circuit?

The main purpose of an oscillator circuit is to generate a precise and stable waveform at a specific frequency. This is essential in many electronic devices, such as radios, clocks, and computers, where a stable and accurate timing signal is required for proper operation.

3. What are the different types of oscillator circuits?

There are several types of oscillator circuits, including LC oscillators, RC oscillators, crystal oscillators, and voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs). Each type has its own unique characteristics and is used in different applications depending on the required frequency stability and tuning range.

4. How do you calculate the frequency of an oscillator circuit?

The frequency of an oscillator circuit can be calculated using the formula f=1/(2π√LC), where f is the frequency in Hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in Henrys (H), and C is the capacitance in Farads (F). This formula is applicable to LC oscillators, while other types of oscillators have their own specific equations.

5. How can you troubleshoot an oscillator circuit?

If an oscillator circuit is not working properly, there are a few troubleshooting steps that can be taken. These include checking for loose connections, verifying the values of the components, and testing the circuit with an oscilloscope to see if it is generating the expected waveform. Additionally, changing the values of the frequency-selective element or the feedback resistor can also help adjust the frequency and improve the circuit's performance.