Synchronous MOSFET Driver not functioning when voltage already present

• Thread starter techn0
  • Start date
In summary, the module will work with a previous voltage of 1.5v or higher, but will not start up if there is a voltage on the SW pin. The module will be replaced with new PCBs.
techn0
ncp3420.png

I have designed a circuit (module) based around this example. I have it working quite well for one exception.

I am trying to use this to charge and discharge a super capacitor bank. On Vout I have a 30 amp current monitoring IC that reads current in both directions so I can monitor and adjust the pwm input signal to maintain desired current flow. External to this module I have a PLC that monitors bank voltage and enables or disables the module based on bank voltage. My problem is that if the Capacitor bank has a previous voltage of about 1.5v or higher the NCP3420 continues to act disabled. I have tried playing around with the pwm and enable timings in code to no avail.

This module has a pic MCU that monitors current and voltage to control the pwm duty based on charge or discharge mode.

I have a feeling that inserting something to remove pin 7 from the circuit until it starts might be the key but I wanted to get some feed back before getting too creative. I think the gate driver prevents start up if voltage is present on the SW pin. Not sure. Datasheet is unclear to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
techn0 said:
I think the gate driver prevents start up if voltage is present on the SW pin. Not sure.
That IC is designed to supply a power output starting at zero volts.
Your first output when enabling the driver should be short pulses of output low. That must fully charge the flying capacitor between pins 1 and 7. Only then can output high be asserted.

I suspect you will need to hold pin 2, PWM low, while providing a series of short positive pulses to pin 3, _OD.

I played around with what you suggested with no luck.

I then did some testing with bringing the module voltage up from zero while not connected to the cap bank. I would get the module voltage similar to the cap bank and then connect them successfully. So now I have modified the circuit to monitor cap bank voltage and allow the module to precharge to the cap bank voltage and then connecting with a relay with they are within a quarter volt of each other so normal charging or discharging is possible from any previous bank voltage now.

All the logic is programmed into the MCU controlling everything.

I was hoping to avoid any relays in this design but I will socket them so they can be serviced.

Ordering new PCBs again.

1. Why is my synchronous MOSFET driver not functioning even though there is already voltage present?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there is a problem with the MOSFET driver itself, such as a faulty component or incorrect wiring. Another possibility is that there is an issue with the MOSFETs, such as incorrect biasing or a short circuit. It is also possible that there is a problem with the voltage source, such as insufficient voltage or a damaged power supply. Further troubleshooting and testing will be needed to determine the exact cause.

2. Can a faulty MOSFET driver cause damage to the MOSFETs?

Yes, a faulty MOSFET driver can cause damage to the MOSFETs. If the driver is not functioning properly, it may not be providing the correct signals to the MOSFETs, leading to incorrect biasing or overloading. This can cause the MOSFETs to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to ensure that the MOSFET driver is functioning correctly before using it to control the MOSFETs.

3. How can I test if my MOSFET driver is functioning correctly?

To test the functionality of a MOSFET driver, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current outputs. You can also use an oscilloscope to observe the signals being sent to the MOSFETs. Additionally, you can test the driver with a known working MOSFET to see if it is able to properly control the device. If the driver is not functioning correctly, it may need to be replaced or repaired.

4. What precautions should I take when working with a synchronous MOSFET driver?

When working with a synchronous MOSFET driver, it is important to follow proper safety precautions to avoid any potential hazards. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and ensuring that the power supply is turned off before making any connections or adjustments. It is also important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific MOSFET driver being used.

5. Are there any common mistakes that can cause a synchronous MOSFET driver to not function?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can cause a synchronous MOSFET driver to not function properly. These include incorrect wiring, using the wrong type of MOSFET for the driver, and improper biasing of the MOSFETs. It is important to carefully read the datasheet and instructions for both the driver and MOSFETs to ensure they are compatible and properly connected. Additionally, any damage to the components or incorrect handling during installation can also cause the driver to not function correctly.