Question about particle interactions and the forces between them

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of exchangeparticles with even spin and their interactions with other particles. The first reference suggests that even spin exchangeparticles only act attractive if the charges are equal. However, the second reference presents different arguments for spin-0 and spin-1 cases, where for like charges spin-0 interactions are attractive while spin-1 interactions are repulsive. The question arises whether this holds true for all even and odd spins, to which the expert suggests that there may be issues with quantum field theory at spins higher than spin-2. Finally, the paper referenced by the expert shows that in classical field theory, even spin fields always lead to attraction between charges, while odd spin fields can be attractive or
simplemind
I have read that if the exchangeparticle of an interaction has even spin then the force between them is
attractive if the charge is equal (gravitation) and repulsive if the charge is not equal.
Is this wright?

Physics news on Phys.org
simplemind said:
I have read
Where? Please give a specific reference.

It is german:

http://erlangen.physicsmasterclasses.org/sm_ww/sm_ww_02.html

It says even spin (for example graviton spin= 2) exchangeparticles only acts attractive other says
even spin exchangeparticles acts attractive if charge is equal and repulsive if charge is not equal.

So i am unsafe because there a lot of different inromations in the web.

simplemind said:
i am unsafe because there a lot of different inromations in the web
You've only given one reference. What other ones have you seen that contradict it?

simplemind said:
i am not sure if exchangeparticles with even spin always acts attractive or only if the charge is the same?
The first reference gives no details or arguments at all, so it's not very helpful.

The second reference does give some details and arguments (on previous pages to the one you linked to), but only for the spin-0 and spin-1 cases. Basically, those arguments boil down to this (for the simplest case where the two interacting objects start out at rest): the interaction energy is the product of the two charges (which appear as two ##J## factors in the formula) and a "propagator" ##D##, whose sign depends on the spin; for spin-0 it is negative, for spin-1 it is positive. The overall sign of the interaction energy determines whether the interaction is attractive or repulsive: negative interaction energy means attractive, positive interaction energy means repulsive. So if we consider like charges (meaning, the sign of the product of two of them is positive), then the spin-0 interaction is attractive and the spin-1 interaction is repulsive.

Can you see what the above implies for the case of unlike charges for spin-0 and spin-1?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
The first reference gives no details or arguments at all, so it's not very helpful.

The second reference does give some details and arguments (on previous pages to the one you linked to), but only for the spin-0 and spin-1 cases. Basically, those arguments boil down to this (for the simplest case where the two interacting objects start out at rest): the interaction energy is the product of the two charges (which appear as two ##J## factors in the formula) and a "propagator" ##D##, whose sign depends on the spin; for spin-0 it is negative, for spin-1 it is positive. The overall sign of the interaction energy determines whether the interaction is attractive or repulsive: negative interaction energy means attractive, positive interaction energy means repulsive. So if we consider like charges (meaning, the sign of the product of two of them is positive), then the spin-0 interaction is attractive and the spin-1 interaction is repulsive.

Can you see what the above implies for the case of unlike charges for spin-0 and spin-1?
It is for unlike charges vice versa which means spin 0 repulsive and spin 1 attractiv.
Then the last open question:Is this true for all even and odd spins?
Is the propagator negative for all even spins and positiv for all odd spins?

simplemind said:
It is for unlike charges vice versa which means spin 0 repulsive and spin 1 attractiv.
Yes.

simplemind said:
Is this true for all even and odd spins?
Is the propagator negative for all even spins and positiv for all odd spins?
The only other spin for which I have seen a calculation of the propagator is spin-2, for which the propagator is negative (as in the case of gravity), so its behavior is the same as spin-0.

IIRC there are other issues with quantum field theory at spins higher than spin-2, so the question might not be meaningful for those spins.

Likes vanhees71
QFT has already problems with spin-2 (gravity). In the paper I quoted above it's shown that in classical field theory fields with even spin are lead always to attraction between the "charges" (sources) of these fields and those with odd spin can be attractive and repulsive for charges of opposite and the same sign respectively (as in electromagnetism, where the electromagnetic field is a spin-1 field).

vanhees71 said:
In the paper I quoted above it's shown that in classical field theory fields with even spin are lead always to attraction
The abstract of that paper (I can't read the full paper since it's behind a paywall) seems to indicate that only the case of like sources, i.e., charges with the same sign, is examined. The relative sign of the charges, just by inspection, must affect the sign of the interaction energy for all spins.

In even-spin cases, such as spin-2 gravity, it is often assumed that there is no such thing as "unlike charges"--that all "charges" (masses in the case of gravity) are positive, so only the like charge case is relevant. Under that assumption, the statement that "gravity is always attractive" would be correct. But I don't think it is if the possibility of unlike charges is included.

That's true! Only like-signed charges are considered. So it's shown that for even (odd) spin of the field like-signed charges are attractive (repulsive).

PeterDonis said:
The abstract of that paper (I can't read the full paper since it's behind a paywall) seems to indicate that only the case of like sources, i.e., charges with the same sign, is examined. The relative sign of the charges, just by inspection, must affect the sign of the interaction energy for all spins.

In even-spin cases, such as spin-2 gravity, it is often assumed that there is no such thing as "unlike charges"--that all "charges" (masses in the case of gravity) are positive, so only the like charge case is relevant. Under that assumption, the statement that "gravity is always attractive" would be correct. But I don't think it is if the possibility of unlike charges is included.

It seems that it is not a common known result?

simplemind said:
It seems that it is not a common known result?
All of the results I have described are well known.

I think you are reading too much into the first reference you gave. I don't think that reference is claiming that interactions mediated by even spin exchange particles are always attractive. I think that reference is just referring to the case of even spin exchange particles and two sources with positive charge (or mass in the case of gravity), which, as I said in post #11, is often the only case considered for even spin exchange particles.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks to all but the basic question is unfortunately not answered.

even spin of exchangeparticle (f.e. graviton) : attracitve when charges of particles are like
repulsive when charges of particles is unlike.

odd spin of exchangeparticle(f.e. photon) : attracitve when charges of particles are unlike
repulsive when charges of particles are like.I think i have to look somewhere else.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
simplemind said:
the basic question is unfortunately not answered
Yes, it is. You give the answer yourself:

simplemind said:
even spin of exchangeparticle (f.e. graviton) : attracitve when charges of particles are like
repulsive when charges of particles is unlike.
Yes, that's what has already been said.

simplemind said:
odd spin of exchangeparticle(f.e. photon) : attracitve when charges of particles are unlike
repulsive when charges of particles are like.
Yes, that's what has already been said.

simplemind said:
I think i have to look somewhere else.
I have no idea why you would think this. The above entirely answers your question.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the four fundamental forces in particle interactions?

The four fundamental forces in particle interactions are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do particles interact with each other?

Particles interact with each other through the exchange of force-carrying particles, also known as bosons. The type of interaction depends on the type of boson exchanged.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in particle interactions?

The Higgs boson is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism. It interacts with other particles through the Higgs field, which permeates all of space.

4. How do the forces between particles affect their behavior?

The forces between particles affect their behavior by determining their motion and interactions with other particles. For example, the strong nuclear force holds quarks together to form protons and neutrons, while the electromagnetic force allows particles to attract or repel each other.

5. How do scientists study particle interactions?

Scientists study particle interactions through experiments using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as the Standard Model, to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions.