Question about power extension board

In summary: In summary:-The power extension board my not be able to carry the current required.-If it was made (i.e. brand labeled) by a big electronics company like GE, ABB, Levitron, Hubbell (Gucci and Walmart don't count), and you are observing their limits, then it should be OK.
kenny1999
I have a home appliance that should be plugged into one single wall socket because it's energy consuming, and shouldn't share with other appliances by common sense. However, due to some practical problems, I can't plug it directly into the wall socket. If I use a power extension board (i.e. 1 to 2 or 3 or 4...) to serve as an intermediate, while all other sockets on the extension board are not used. Is it scientifically the same as it directly plug into the main wall socket?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Power Extension Board my not be able to carry the current required.

Why not make up a short, dedicated heavy cable, extension cord to go between the appliance and the outlet?

AZFIREBALL said:
The Power Extension Board my not be able to carry the current required.

Why not make up a short, dedicated heavy cable, extension cord to go between the appliance and the outlet?

Sorry I don't understand. Any pictures of example?

kenny1999 said:
Sorry I don't understand. Any pictures of example?
I don't know what a "power extension board" is, but a heavy duty extension cord looks like this:

https://www.waytekwire.com/images/items/10212FL.gif
1564943929312.png

Likes jim mcnamara
kenny1999 said:
I have a home appliance that should be plugged into one single wall socket because it's energy consuming, and shouldn't share with other appliances by common sense. However, due to some practical problems, I can't plug it directly into the wall socket. If I use a power extension board (i.e. 1 to 2 or 3 or 4...) to serve as an intermediate, while all other sockets on the extension board are not used. Is it scientifically the same as it directly plug into the main wall socket?
It's hard to answer without actually seeing what you have.
Look for safety agency approvals, like UL, UR, ETL, CSA, TUV, CE, etc. If your not sure about the letters you are seeing, look online for clarification. Then look for a current or power rating marked on the device or packaging. If you aren't exceeding these ratings, then you should be ok.
If it was made (i.e. brand labeled) by a big electronics company like GE, ABB, Levitron, Hubbell (Gucci and Walmart don't count), and you are observing their limits, then it should be OK. They don't want to damage their brand with bad products.
There is a lot of cheap electronic stuff you can buy these days, but good product design requires that the device be able to carry the power/voltage/current that the compatible outlet is designed for.

1. What is a power extension board?

A power extension board, also known as a power strip, is a device that allows multiple electronic devices to be plugged into a single power outlet. It typically has several outlets and a long cord for flexibility in placement.

2. How many devices can I plug into a power extension board?

The number of devices that can be plugged into a power extension board depends on the number of outlets it has. Some power strips have as few as three outlets while others can have up to 12 or more.

3. Is it safe to plug high-powered devices into a power extension board?

It is generally safe to plug high-powered devices, such as computers or televisions, into a power extension board. However, it is important to make sure that the total wattage of all devices plugged into the power strip does not exceed its maximum capacity.

4. Can I daisy chain power extension boards?

No, it is not recommended to daisy chain power extension boards. This means plugging one power strip into another to create more outlets. This can overload the circuit and create a fire hazard.

5. How do I choose the right power extension board for my needs?

When choosing a power extension board, consider the number of outlets you need, the length of the cord, and the maximum wattage it can handle. It is also important to look for safety features, such as surge protection, to protect your devices from power surges.