Question about precedence rules

• Thread starter solve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
P, which is the final answerThese are just ways of making it easier to understand, you do not -have- to use any of these ways. The only rule that is written in concrete is log\frac{M}{N}=logM-logN**This rule, you should remember.
solve

Homework Statement

1-2+3=2:

a) 1-2=-1, -1+3=2

or

b) -2+3=1, 1+1=2

So you can attack this expression from either side and you still get 2.

My question is :

If I had to remove logs from lnP= 1/2ln(Q+1)- 3lnR+ 2

I'd either get P=[(Q+1)^1/2]/(R3* e^2) or P=[[(Q+1)^1/2]* e^2]/R^3 depending on which operation( taking the difference or adding) I'd choose to do first.

Which one is more correct and why does the answer depend on what(subtracting or addition) I do first? In case of 1-2+3=2 it doesn't.

Where is my logic going all illogical?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I interpreted the equation

[tex]ln(P) = \frac{1}{2}ln(Q+1) - 3ln(R) + 2 \\

ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(R)^{3} + ln(e^2) \\

ln(P) = ln(\frac{{}e^2\sqrt{Q+1}}{R^3})[/tex]

It doesn't matter in which order you take them, the terms with plus are always in multiplication, and terms with minus are divided.

Infinitum said:
Here's how I interpreted the equation

[tex]ln(P) = \frac{1}{2}ln(Q+1) - 3ln(R) + 2 \\

ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(R)^{3} + ln(e^2) \\

ln(P) = ln(\frac{{}e^2\sqrt{Q+1}}{R^3})[/tex]

It doesn't matter in which order you take them, the terms with plus are always in multiplication, and terms with minus are divided.

Thanks for the reply, Infinitum. Your interpretation is correct. Let me do addition first, here:

lnP= 1/2ln(Q+1)- 3lnR+ 2

lnP= ln(Q+1)^1/2- (lnR^3+ lne^2)

lnP= ln[(Q+1)^1/2]/ln(R^3* e^2)

lnP= ln{[(Q+1)^1/2]/(R^3* e^2)}

P=[(Q+1)^1/2]/(R^3* e^2)

Please, show me where I am going wrong with this. Thanks.

solve said:
lnP= ln(Q+1)^1/2 - lnR^3+ lne^2

lnP= ln[(Q+1)^1/2]/ln(R^3* e^2)

This step.

The mistake is that you did not take the minus common from the two before doing this. :wink:

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(R)^{3} + ln(e^2)[/tex]

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - (ln(R)^{3} - ln(e^2))[/tex]

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(\frac{R^3}{e^2})[/tex]

Infinitum said:
This step.

The mistake is that you did not take the minus common from the two before doing this. :wink:

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(R)^{3} + ln(e^2)[/tex]

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - (ln(R)^{3} - ln(e^2))[/tex]

[tex]ln(P) = ln(Q+1)^{1/2} - ln(\frac{R^3}{e^2})[/tex]

Goodness. I just can't stop making such stupid mistakes. Thank you, Infinitum.

solve said:
Goodness. I just can't stop making such stupid mistakes. Thank you, Infinitum.

You're welcome! :biggrin:

Infinitum said:
You're welcome! :biggrin:

Wait, I think I have another question :D

Let's say I isolate lnR^3+ lne^2 with parenthesis so that I remember to do it first:

lnP= ln(Q+1)^1/2- (lnR^3+ lne^2)

Then I open the parenthesis:

lnP= ln(Q+1)^1/2- lnR^3- lne^2

it works out to the right answer:

P=[e^2*(Q+1)^1/2]/R^3. Fine.

But now I got 1-2+3=2

Lets say I do the same with it:

1-(2+3)=1-2-3=-4

2≠- 4.

Where did I stumble?

Thanks.

solve said:
But now I got 1-2+3=?

Lets say I do the same with it:

1-(2+3)=1-2-3=-4

2≠- 4.

Where did I stumble?

Thanks.

The same mistake yet again :redface:

Your actual question is 1-2+3.

This becomes, 1-(2-3) ...golden rule, always, opening the bracket term should give you the original term.

:eek:

Infinitum said:
The same mistake yet again :redface:

Your actual question is 1-2+3.

This becomes, 1-(2-3) ...golden rule, always, opening the bracket term should give you the original term.

:eek:

So, I guess, doing this wasn't entirely correct to start with:

"Let's say I isolate lnR^3+ lne^2 with parenthesis so that I remember to do it first:

lnP= ln(Q+1)^1/2- (lnR^3+ lne^2)"

I see. Parenthesizing for convenience without manipulating the signs to keep the original value intact is tres stupid.

Good. Nothing is too obvious for me. Many appreciations, Infinitum.

Hi, All

I'd like to look at this situation once again.

Ok, so

1-2+3=
I can subtract 2 from 1 and, THEN add 3:
-1+3=2
or
I can add -2 and 3 first and then add 1:
1+1=2

Either way, I get the same answer and DON'T have to use parenthesis like 1-(2-3) if I want to add -2 and 3 first and then add 1. It's just not necessary.

But I ABSOLUTELY have to parenthesize if I want to add lnK and lne^KL before doing other operations inside {...}- parenthesis:

lnI= ln(2V)- { ln(KR+r)- lnK+ KL }

lnI= ln(2V)- { ln(KR+r)- (lnK- KL) }

I DIDN'T have to use parenthesis when I added negative 2 to 3 before adding 1 in 1-2+3 to get two, though, I could, of course, do 1-(2-3).

So why should I ABSOLUTELY use parenthesis in this particular case (log expression) and not in 1-2+3 if I want to start with adding the last two terms first?

Thanks.

solve said:
Hi, All

I'd like to look at this situation once again.

Ok, so

1-2+3=
I can subtract 2 from 1 and, THEN add 3:
-1+3=2
or
I can add -2 and 3 first and then add 1:
1+1=2

Either way, I get the same answer and DON'T have to use parenthesis like 1-(2-3) if I want to add -2 and 3 first and then add 1. It's just not necessary.

But I ABSOLUTELY have to parenthesize if I want to add lnK and lne^KL before doing other operations inside {...}- parenthesis:

lnI= ln(2V)- { ln(KR+r)- lnK+ KL }

lnI= ln(2V)- { ln(KR+r)- (lnK- KL) }

I DIDN'T have to use parenthesis when I added negative 2 to 3 before adding 1 in 1-2+3 to get two, though, I could, of course, do 1-(2-3).

So why should I ABSOLUTELY use parenthesis in this particular case (log expression) and not in 1-2+3 if I want to start with adding the last two terms first?

Thanks.

No, you do -not- absolutely need to use parenthesis to simply even the log equation. Parenthesis is only an easier, understandable way of looking at it. If you are careful enough, you can avoid mistakes without parenthesis.

For,

[tex]lnI= ln(2V)- (ln(KR+r)- lnK+ lne^{KL})[/tex]

You can simply write that as

[tex]lnI= ln(2V)- ( ln(KR+r) + ln\frac{e^{KL}}{K})[/tex]

In loose terms, just remember, for logarithms, the terms with the negative sign go to denominator, and terms with a positive sign go to numerator. Or, see it this way as in the below example

[tex]-logK + logP[/tex]

[tex]log\frac{1}{K} + logP[/tex]

[tex]log \frac{P}{K}[/tex]

Infinitum said:
No, you do -not- absolutely need to use parenthesis to simply even the log equation. Parenthesis is only an easier, understandable way of looking at it. If you are careful enough, you can avoid mistakes without parenthesis.

For,

[tex]lnI= ln(2V)- (ln(KR+r)- lnK+ lne^{KL})[/tex]

You can simply write that as

[tex]lnI= ln(2V)- ( ln(KR+r) + ln\frac{e^{KL}}{K})[/tex]

See, to get ln(K/e^KL) you had to get { ln(KR+r)- lnK+ KL } to be { ln(KR+r)- (lnK- KL) }. In other words, you did have to parenthesize lnK+ KL. Otherwise, you'd just get K*e^KL.

solve said:
I can add -2 and 3 first and then add 1

Notice how you took that 2 as a negative 2 when you were showing the addition example.

When you did the log example, you removed the negative. You took both the second and the third term as being positive, and thus multiplied them. If you isolate the last two terms while still treating the second one negative, then it will end up in the denominator as it should.

Villyer said:
Notice how you took that 2 as a negative 2 when you were showing the addition example.

When you did the log example, you removed the negative. You took both the second and the third term as being positive, and thus multiplied them. If you isolate the last two terms while still treating the second one negative, then it will end up in the denominator as it should.

Noice! Also, can the explanation "Because addition and subtraction are commutative. Logarithms are not." be perfectly applicable here?

Thanks.

solve said:
Noice! Also, can the explanation "Because addition and subtraction are commutative. Logarithms are not." be perfectly applicable here?

Thanks.

Nooo! Subtraction is not commutative.

[tex]a - b \neq b - a[/tex]

For all a,b belonging to ℝ.

Logarithm addition is commutative.

[tex]log(m) + log(n) = log(n) + log(m)[/tex]

Infinitum said:
Nooo! Subtraction is not commutative.

[tex]a - b \neq b - a[/tex]

For all a,b belonging to ℝ.

Logarithm addition is commutative.

[tex]log(m) + log(n) = log(n) + log(m)[/tex]

Thanks for catching that.

Related to Question about precedence rules

1. What are precedence rules in scientific research?

Precedence rules in scientific research refer to the guidelines and principles that determine the order in which scientific findings are presented and credited. These rules are important for maintaining accuracy and fairness in the scientific community.

2. How do precedence rules affect the publication of research?

Precedence rules play a significant role in the publication of research. They dictate that the first person or group to discover and report a scientific finding should receive credit and recognition for that discovery. This can impact the timing and process of publishing research.

3. Can precedence rules be broken in scientific research?

While precedence rules are generally followed in scientific research, there may be instances where they are broken. For example, if a research finding is deemed to be of significant importance or has been replicated by multiple groups, credit may be shared among all involved parties.

4. Are precedence rules the same across all scientific disciplines?

No, precedence rules may vary slightly between different scientific disciplines. For example, the field of medicine may have different rules than the field of physics. However, the overall goal of acknowledging and crediting the first person or group to make a discovery remains the same.

5. How can scientists ensure they are following precedence rules?

To ensure they are following precedence rules, scientists should thoroughly research and cite previous studies and findings related to their own research topic. They should also stay up-to-date on current scientific literature and give credit where it is due. Collaboration and communication with other scientists can also help ensure precedence rules are being followed.