Question about smoothness of a vector field (Reeb).

In summary: Right - I also remember thought that the poof of the Implicit function theorem directly supplies local coordinates for a smooth vector field.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello,

I am simply looking for an argument proving the smoothness of the Reeb vector field of a given contact form.

If you don't know the relevant definitions, the problem is simply this: Let M be a manifold of odd dimension 2n+1 and let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be a 1-form on M such that
1) [itex]\alpha[/itex] is nowhere vanishing (Hence, for every p in M, [itex]H_p :=\ker\alpha_p[/itex] has dimension 2n.)
2) The (2n+1)-form [itex]\alpha\wedge d\alpha[/itex] never vanishes. Equivalently, for every p in M, the bilinear form [itex]d\alpha_p|_{H_p\times H_p}[/itex] is nondegenerate.

Since a nondegenerate bilinear form on an odd dimensional vector space does not exist, it must be that for every p in M, [itex]d\alpha_p[/itex] is degenerate. But by 2), the restriction of [itex]d\alpha_p[/itex] to H_p is nondegenerate. So it must be that [itex]\ker d\alpha_p=\{v\in T_pM : d\alpha_p(v,\cdot)=0\in T_p^*M\}[/itex] has dimension 1.

Define a vector field R of M axiomatically by:
(A1) [itex]R_p \in\ker d\alpha_p[/itex] for all p in M,
(A2) [itex]\alpha(R)=1[/itex].

Since [itex]\dim\ker d\alpha_p=1[/itex], axiom (A1) defines uniquely R up to scaling factor, and (A2) fixes that scaling factor. Hence R is well defined (and is called the Reeb vector field associated with the contact form [itex]\alpha[/itex]).

I am simply looking for a proof that R is smooth, given that M and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are too! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since R is well-defined as you say, you need to check that in a coordinate chart, R varies smoothly. Representing [tex] d\alpha [/tex] as a matrix in these coordinates, it is sufficient to show that you can find a smooth non-zero vector field in the kernel (which you can then normalize to be Reeb). To rigorously do this, you can probably argue that row reduction varies smoothly in the coordinates of [tex] d\alpha[/tex] so that you can find a smooth basis for its kernel.

quasar987 said:
Hello,
2) The (2n+1)-form [itex]\alpha\wedge d\alpha[/itex] never vanishes.

The form [itex]\alpha\wedge d\alpha[/itex] is a 3 form - did you mean Hodge dual?

lavinia said:
The form [itex]\alpha\wedge d\alpha[/itex] is a 3 form - did you mean Hodge dual?
I'm pretty sure he meant [itex]\alpha\wedge (d\alpha)^n.[/itex]

eok20 said:
I'm pretty sure he meant [itex]\alpha\wedge (d\alpha)^n.[/itex]

Correct.

eok20 said:
Since R is well-defined as you say, you need to check that in a coordinate chart, R varies smoothly. Representing [tex] d\alpha [/tex] as a matrix in these coordinates, it is sufficient to show that you can find a smooth non-zero vector field in the kernel (which you can then normalize to be Reeb). To rigorously do this, you can probably argue that row reduction varies smoothly in the coordinates of [tex] d\alpha[/tex] so that you can find a smooth basis for its kernel.

This is exactly what I tried, but I am having trouble making this argument rigourous... :\

quasar987 said:
I am simply looking for a proof that R is smooth, given that M and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are too!

I don't have all of it but here is a part - I think/I hope

Suppose you have proved that the kernel of the bilinear form is a smooth line bundle. In a coordinate chart it looks like a 2n + 1 ball cross a line and the 1 form [itex]\alpha[/itex] is just a smooth function on it that is linear on each line. Since it is non degenerate, 1 is a regular value and its inverse image is a smooth 2n+1- manifold. This manifold is just a smooth vector field on the ball.

I wonder if the Implicit function theorem can be used for the first part as well.

If we have proved that

[tex]L:=\bigsqcup_{p\in M}\ker d\alpha_p[/tex]

is a smooth line bundle, then this is equivalent to say that about any point p in M, there is a nowhere vanishing smooth local section of L. Say X is such a smooth local section of L (i.e., a local vector field on M lying in L). Then there is a real valued function f such that locally,

[tex]R=fX[/tex]

Since [tex]\alpha[/tex] and X are nowhere vanishing, we have

[tex]1=\alpha(R)=\alpha(fX)=f\alpha(X) \Rightarrow f=\frac{1}{\alpha(X)}[/tex]

Thus f is smooth, and hence R=fX is smooth.

So proving the smoothness of R is equivalent to proving that L is a smooth vector bundle.

quasar987 said:
If we have proved that

[tex]L:=\bigsqcup_{p\in M}\ker d\alpha_p[/tex]

is a smooth line bundle, then this is equivalent to say that about any point p in M, there is a nowhere vanishing smooth local section of L. Say X is such a smooth local section of L (i.e., a local vector field on M lying in L). Then there is a real valued function f such that locally,

[tex]R=fX[/tex]

Since [tex]\alpha[/tex] and X are nowhere vanishing, we have

[tex]1=\alpha(R)=\alpha(fX)=f\alpha(X) \Rightarrow f=\frac{1}{\alpha(X)}[/tex]

Thus f is smooth, and hence R=fX is smooth.

So proving the smoothness of R is equivalent to proving that L is a smooth vector bundle.

Right - I also remember thought that the poof of the Implicit function theorem directly supplies local coordinates for a = 1.

What do you mean by that lavinia?

I seem to remember but may be mistaken that the proof that F(x) = constant is a manifold does this by constructing a local parameterization - I will look up the proof to make sure

HI quasarhere is a thought. I wonder what you think. Maybe it could get us somewhere with this.

In the case of a 3 manifold you get that the vector field,R, must satisfy a system of first order linear PDE's. If X and Y are everywhere non-zero linearlly independent vector fields in the kernel of alpha then

alpha([X,R]) = alpha([Y,R]) = 0 I don't know anything about PDE's but wonder if there is an existence theorem here that guarantees smooth solutions.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector, which has both magnitude and direction, to every point in a given space. It can be used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, or electric field.

2. How do you determine the smoothness of a vector field?

The smoothness of a vector field can be determined by looking at the continuity and differentiability of its components. If the components are continuous and have continuous partial derivatives, the vector field is considered smooth.

3. What is the Reeb vector field?

The Reeb vector field is a special type of vector field that represents the direction of greatest change in a given scalar field. It is named after mathematician George Reeb, who first studied its properties.

4. How is the smoothness of a vector field related to its physical interpretation?

The smoothness of a vector field is directly related to its physical interpretation. A smooth vector field represents a continuous and differentiable physical quantity, while a non-smooth vector field may have discontinuities or sudden changes in direction, which may not have a physical interpretation.

5. Can a vector field be both smooth and non-smooth at the same time?

No, a vector field cannot be both smooth and non-smooth at the same time. It is either smooth or non-smooth, depending on the continuity and differentiability of its components. However, a vector field can have different levels of smoothness in different regions of the space it is defined in.