Question about Thanks counter

• Thread starter Phy_Man
  • Start date
In summary, the "Thanks" counter on the page tells you how many messages, posts, and "Private Messages" have been sent to the user.
Phy_Man
Question about "Thanks" counter

Hello,

I notice that there is a counter at the top right hand side of the page which tells me how many messages I have, how many posts I've made and something labeled "Thanks." What does "Thanks" mean? I assume it means that someone thanked me for something. How do I determine what that was and who made it? I'd like to know what I'm doing that's appreciated enough to post a thank you for so that I can do more of it plus be able to say your welcome. I was taught good manners. :)

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really get why people can't see who thanked them. I think it's nice to know who's thanking me.

Likes 1 person
jtbell said:
It's a recently added feature. See here for the announcement and discussion about it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692611

It's sort of like a "Private Message" in that only the recipient can see them.

Thank you. I took a look at that thread and didn't see an explanation of how to determine what it is that I'm being thanked for. I'd like to know so that I can make sure I keep doing it. :)

Phy_Man said:
Thank you. I took a look at that thread and didn't see an explanation of how to determine what it is that I'm being thanked for. I'd like to know so that I can make sure I keep doing it. :)

You can click on "Thanks" in the top right corner. This will take you to your profile page. Then click on the page "thanks" and you'll see a list of all posts that have been thanked. So there you can see which posts specifically got a thanks.

1. What is a "Question about Thanks counter"?

A "Question about Thanks counter" is a tool used to track the number of times someone has said "thanks" in response to a question. It is often used in research studies to measure gratitude and politeness in communication.

2. How does a "Question about Thanks counter" work?

A "Question about Thanks counter" typically works by analyzing text or audio data and identifying instances of the word "thanks" in response to a question. It then tallies up the total number of occurrences and provides a count.

3. Why would someone use a "Question about Thanks counter"?

Researchers may use a "Question about Thanks counter" to study patterns of gratitude and politeness in communication. This tool can also be used in customer service to track the frequency of "thank yous" in customer interactions.

4. Are there limitations to using a "Question about Thanks counter"?

Yes, there can be limitations to using a "Question about Thanks counter." For example, it may not accurately capture all instances of gratitude, as some people may express thanks in different ways (e.g. "thank you so much" or "thanks a lot"). It also may not account for sarcasm or insincere expressions of gratitude.

5. Can a "Question about Thanks counter" be used in any language?

While a "Question about Thanks counter" can be adapted to work in different languages, it may not be as accurate in capturing gratitude expressions. This is because some languages may have different words or phrases for expressing gratitude, and the tool may not be able to recognize them all. Additionally, cultural differences in communication may affect the accuracy of the count.