Question about the allassonic effect

• B
  • Thread starter bunburryist
  • Start date
In summary: You can't understand it without understanding the basics.In summary, the water's roll that of primary vibrator with the cup merely holding the water, or is it that the "system" (cup and water) that vibrates, and thus creates the sound waves?
bunburryist
In the allassonic effect, is it the column of water that is actually creating the sound (the surface of the water passing vibrations into the air), or is it that the water acts as a damper on the cup, and that it is the vibration of the cup, like a bell, that actually creates the sound waves? Another way of putting the question is - is the water's roll that of primary vibrator with the cup merely holding the water, or is it that the "system" (cup and water) that vibrates, and thus creates the sound. Would there be a way to create the allassonic effect with a container that itself was not allowed to vibrate, or at least was damped as much as possible, so that it was effectively the water only that is vibrating?

Am I thinking about his wrong? Is it really that the cup and the water vibrate relatively independently from one another, each creating their own sound waves, and that I am actually hearing a combination of their vibrations?

I found an interesting version of this effect with cold water from our deep sink faucet. (It doesn't work with water from kitchen sink.) If I put cold water in the cup and tap, the pitch initially slowly drops, and then after a while, starts going up again. My guess is that there are air bubbles and that the initial dropping is from the consolidation of air bubbles into larger bubbles, and that the raising of the pitch is a result of the bubbles leaving the water. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bunburryist said:
My guess is that there are air bubbles and that the initial dropping is from the consolidation of air bubbles into larger bubbles, and that the raising of the pitch is a result of the bubbles leaving the water. Does this make sense?
That seems to be the sort of thing that's happening. There could also be the effect of the dissolving coffee displacing dissolved air and forming small bubbles due to the shock of the spoon hitting the bottom. When I was a lad, we used to tap the sides of our fizzy drinks bottles (glass) and stimulate the formation of bubbles of dissolved CO2. (Idiot kids - losing the fizz so pointlessly.
This link (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4549848/) suggests that the speed of sound would be inversely proportional to 1/R2 but also that it should reduce with the density of bubbles (that's fairly obvious). So both of your ideas could be right qualitatively. The pitch change in a couple of the YouTube links is small (perhaps 1/4 tone?) and that is around 0.01%. That wouldn't need a big change in bubble concentration or size.
You'd have to read that article more fully than I did but I reckon that what you need to know is probably in there. (I now step aside for a younger man to complete the job.)

Unfortunately, I'm not a mathematician, so I don't understand all the equations. Thanks for your response.

bunburryist said:
Unfortunately, I'm not a mathematician, so I don't understand all the equations. Thanks for your response.
I could sum up that part of the article by saying that the sort of change in the frequency of the resonance is tiny and that the formulae seem to suggest that you only need a low change in concentration of small bubbles to achieve that change (much lower density than you could actually see).
As with many things in Physics that need 'explaining', Maths comes into the explanation. It's like love and marriage.

1. What is the allassonic effect?

The allassonic effect is a phenomenon in which sound waves of different frequencies interact with each other, resulting in the production of a new frequency. This new frequency is equal to the sum or the difference of the original frequencies.

2. How does the allassonic effect occur?

The allassonic effect occurs when two or more sound waves are present in the same medium. When these waves interact, they create areas of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the production of a new frequency.

3. What are some examples of the allassonic effect?

Some examples of the allassonic effect include the production of binaural beats, the creation of a beat frequency in music, and the formation of harmonic overtones in musical instruments.

4. What is the significance of the allassonic effect?

The allassonic effect has various applications in fields such as music, acoustics, and even medicine. It allows for the creation of unique sounds and can also be used to improve hearing through the use of binaural beats.

5. How is the allassonic effect different from other sound phenomena?

The allassonic effect is different from other sound phenomena because it involves the interaction of two or more sound waves to produce a new frequency. Other sound phenomena, such as resonance and diffraction, do not involve the creation of new frequencies but rather the amplification or bending of existing ones.