Question about the Carnot engine

In summary, the Carnot efficiency formula is 1 - (QH-QL)/QH = 1 - (TH-TL)/TH, where QH is the heat input, QL is the heat output, TH is the input temperature, and TL is the output temperature. It is stated in the book that TH is proportional to QH and TL is proportional to QL, based on Carnot's observations. This can be explained by the second law of thermodynamics and the definition of thermodynamic temperature.
titaniumpen
I was reading about the Carnot engine, and I stumbled upon this forumla:

Carnot efficiency = 1 - (QH-QL)/QH = 1 - (TH-TL)/TH

Where QH is the heat input, QL is the heat output, TH is the input temperature, TL is the output temperature.

The book says that TH is proportional to QH, and TL is proportional to QL, but it does not state why. Well it seems common sense that you have more heat input if the source is hotter, but is there a more scientific explanation? Or is it just a finding from Carnot's observations?

Science news on Phys.org
It's true by definition of thermodynamic temperature, T. You can show from the second law of thermodynamics that all Carnot engines have the same efficiency, independently of working substance, so their efficiencies can depend only on the temperatures TH and TC. It was, I believe, the idea of William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) to define temperature such that [tex]\frac{T_H}{T_C}=\frac{Q_H}{Q_C}[/tex] in which QH and QC are the heat input and heat output of a Carnot engine.

By taking the special case of an ideal gas as working substance in a Carnot engine, it is easy to show that the thermodynamic temperature as defined above, is equivalent to temperature defined by pV = nRT for a gas at limitingly low density.

Obviously what I've written is highly condensed. It is spelled out in detail in old-fashioned textbooks such as Zemansky.

titaniumpen said:
I was reading about the Carnot engine, and I stumbled upon this forumla:

Carnot efficiency = 1 - (QH-QL)/QH = 1 - (TH-TL)/TH

Where QH is the heat input, QL is the heat output, TH is the input temperature, TL is the output temperature.

The book says that TH is proportional to QH, and TL is proportional to QL, but it does not state why. Well it seems common sense that you have more heat input if the source is hotter, but is there a more scientific explanation? Or is it just a finding from Carnot's observations?
Start with:

ΔS = ∫dQ/T

In the Carnot cycle, ΔS = 0. Since heat flows at constant temperature, this means that Qh/Th + Qc/Tc = 0. Since Qh = -|Qh| (i.e. heat flow is out of the hot register so it is negative), we have: |Qc|/Tc = |Qh|/Th, which reduces to |Qh/Qc|= Th/Tc.

AM

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know the answer is so simple. :smile:

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principle of reversibility, meaning that it can theoretically achieve maximum efficiency. It consists of two heat reservoirs at different temperatures, a working substance (such as a gas), and a piston-cylinder system. The engine operates in a cyclical manner, with the working substance absorbing heat from the hot reservoir, performing work, and then releasing heat to the cold reservoir.

Who invented the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine was invented by French physicist Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in 1824. He published his findings in his book "Reflections on the Motive Power of Fire", which laid the foundations for the study of thermodynamics.

What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the Carnot efficiency formula: η = (Th - Tc) / Th, where Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir. This means that the efficiency of a Carnot engine is dependent on the temperatures of the two reservoirs, with higher efficiency achieved at larger temperature differences.

What are the limitations of a Carnot engine?

One of the main limitations of a Carnot engine is that it is a theoretical construct and cannot be built in reality. It also assumes that all processes involved are reversible, which is not possible in practice. Additionally, the efficiency of a Carnot engine decreases as the temperature difference between the two reservoirs decreases.

What is the practical application of a Carnot engine?

The practical applications of the Carnot engine lie in its theoretical foundations, which have contributed greatly to the study of thermodynamics and the development of more efficient heat engines. It is also used as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real-world engines.