Question about the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra

In summary, The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every non-zero, single-variable, degree n polynomial with complex coefficients has, counted with multiplicity, exactly n complex roots. However, polynomials with non-integer degrees, such as the one mentioned in the conversation, are not considered polynomials by definition and do not have the same properties. Additionally, there are other mathematical concepts, such as fractional derivatives, which may be relevant in studying these types of equations.
DaTario
Hi All,

According to the fundamental theorem of algebra: "every non-zero, single-variable, degree n polynomial with complex coefficients has, counted with multiplicity, exactly n complex roots".
My question is: what about polynomials with degree say 2.3 or 3.02, as in the polynomial:
## p(x) = x^{2.3} - 5x + 6 ?##
Do these polynomials take part in the FTA ?

Best wishes,

DaTario

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is not a polynomial. By definition, polynomials only have integer powers of the variable.

Your function cannot even be defined as continuous function over the whole complex plane.

Likes Logical Dog
mfb said:
Your function cannot even be defined as continuous function over the whole complex plane.
Further, the function isn't defined on the negative real numbers.

Further, no equation can have 2.3 roots!

Mark44 said:
Further, the function isn't defined on the negative real numbers.
##\displaystyle x^{2.3}=e^{2.3 \ln(x)}## can easily be defined for negative real numbers, you just have to choose a branch, and you have to define where to make it discontinuous.

mfb said:
##\displaystyle x^{2.3}=e^{2.3 \ln(x)}## can easily be defined for negative real numbers, you just have to choose a branch, and you have to define where to make it discontinuous.
The context of my comment, which I didn't state, was polynomials with real variables. I thought those were what he was asking about in writing p(x) = ... instead of ##p(z) = z^{2.3} - 5z + 6##.

In any case, this is not a polynomial, as you have already said.

The fundamental theorem of algebra works with complex numbers and DaTario mentioned them in the first post as well.

mfb said:
The fundamental theorem of algebra works with complex numbers and DaTario mentioned them in the first post as well.
I was so dumbfounded by the 2.3 exponent on what he called a polynomial that I didn't notice that he had mentioned complex coefficients.

Thank you all.
I am satisfied with the comments. I was curious because the graph of the function:
## f(x) = x^{2.3} - 5x + 2 ##
as shown below, suggested to me that we could also have some control over its roots.
Obs: The command to this plot was:
Plot[x^2.3 - 5x + 2, {x, -5, 5}].

power23div10.jpg

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Further, no equation can have 2.3 roots!

I must confess that, when I formulated this question, I was in the spirit of that child that asks if someone can multiply a number by itself 2.3 times.

DaTario said:
I must confess that, when I formulated this question, I was in the spirit of that child that asks if someone can multiply a number by itself 2.3 times.
And the answer is yes -- with conditions. As long as you can take the 10'th root of x, then (x1/10)23 can be considered and studied. So your question has some interesting aspects.

No matter how strange you think your question is, there is still a chance that someone has studied it seriously -- and maybe even applied it somewhere. There are also fractional derivatives, which I have a very hard time thinking about.

FactChecker said:
And the answer is yes -- with conditions. As long as you can take the 10'th root of x, then (x1/10)23 can be considered and studied..
But this gets us well beyond the concept of multiplication, depending as it does on being able to find the 10th root of a number.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
But this gets us well beyond the concept of multiplication, depending as it does on being able to find the 10th root of a number.
It has some practical aspects - in a tempered scale, the ratio between two tones a half tone apart is [itex]\sqrt[12]{2} [/itex].

FactChecker said:
And the answer is yes -- with conditions. As long as you can take the 10'th root of x, then (x1/10)23 can be considered and studied. So your question has some interesting aspects.

No matter how strange you think your question is, there is still a chance that someone has studied it seriously -- and maybe even applied it somewhere. There are also fractional derivatives, which I have a very hard time thinking about.

I had contact with fractional derivatives once in my life and it was also "hard time".

Likes FactChecker

Related to Question about the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is a mathematical theorem that states that every non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. In simpler terms, it means that every polynomial equation can be solved.

2. Who discovered the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The theorem was first stated by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in 1799, but it was later proved by mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent in 1843.

3. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra important in mathematics?

The theorem is important because it helps in solving polynomial equations and provides a foundation for other mathematical concepts such as complex analysis and abstract algebra. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra be applied to equations with real coefficients?

Yes, the theorem applies to all polynomial equations, regardless of whether the coefficients are real or complex. This means that even if all the roots of a polynomial equation are complex, they can still be found using the theorem.

5. Is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra always true?

Yes, the theorem has been proven to be true and has no exceptions. However, it only applies to polynomial equations and does not work for other types of equations, such as trigonometric or exponential equations.