Question about the physics of sound

In summary, soundproofing is a difficult and expensive process that involves thick walls with no holes. DIY methods may not be as effective as professional services. For the second question, there is a video that demonstrates how dust behind a speaker grill can affect the sound emitted by the device. The loudness required to blow out the dust depends on the density of the dust particles.
Steve120
Hello there! I have a couple of questions regarding the physics of sound (they may seem odd and concerning, but aren't for any malicious purposes, I promise, these questions just popped up in my head )

First, I'd like to understand how soundprofing works, the science behind it and how well can you soundproof an natatorium. Per say, in a school...if someone were in the natatorium listening to music would it really be possible for it not to be heard in the hallways, or at least in any of the rooms near it with soundproofing? If so, I'd like to learn how (don't worry about boring me, be as detailed as you like!)

Secondly, if someone were to put dust behind the speaker grill of a radio or any other device that emits sound, how loud would the sound emitted by the device need to be in order for it to blow it all out (or at least some of it)?

I appreciate the help? (Sorry for wasting your time)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
Sound proofing is a difficult (expensive) business and the only really good solution involves really thick walls with no (not even a mouse hole) holes in it. This requires the structure to be made that way when it's built. Nothing else can work as well as that. If youGoogle "Soundproofing a room', you will get loads of adverts but you will get useful advice sandwiched in between the ads. This link discusses soundproofing methods (note, all techniques work both ways) and you'll see that the way for you to go is probably Absorbent Panels.
There is a potential problem with a DIY approach and that is the risk of a narrow band of sound getting through. This can be more annoying than the full spectrum when low level tinkling 'drainpipe' sounds get out into the rest of the building. A 'professional' service would probably ensure that is avoided.
The thing to do is read read read abut the topic and expect it to cost a lot.

sophiecentaur said:
This can be more annoying than the full spectrum

Bass usually if its music, nothing more annoying than hearing the muffled groaning of a wuffer and not much else when you are trying to sleep

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.
Sound proofing is a difficult (expensive) business and the only really good solution involves really thick walls with no (not even a mouse hole) holes in it. This requires the structure to be made that way when it's built. Nothing else can work as well as that. If youGoogle "Soundproofing a room', you will get loads of adverts but you will get useful advice sandwiched in between the ads. This link discusses soundproofing methods (note, all techniques work both ways) and you'll see that the way for you to go is probably Absorbent Panels.
There is a potential problem with a DIY approach and that is the risk of a narrow band of sound getting through. This can be more annoying than the full spectrum when low level tinkling 'drainpipe' sounds get out into the rest of the building. A 'professional' service would probably ensure that is avoided.
Alright...what about the second question?

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.

And also...from what I understood, sound proofing a whole natatorium is indeed possible?

Good questions.

Steve120 said:
Secondly, if someone were to put dust behind the speaker grill of a radio or any other device that emits sound, how loud would the sound emitted by the device need to be in order for it to blow it all out (or at least some of it)?

Here is a video that demonstrates that. But the question "how loud" depends on "how fine grained is the dust" so there is no single answer.

Steve120 said:
And also...from what I understood, sound proofing a whole natatorium is indeed possible?
I would need to be shown evidence for me to believe that. It would all depend on just how soundproof it needs to be. Heavy doors with felt seals could make a lot of difference. If the auditorium has large 'picture' windows, looking onto a corridor , that could be problematical and the windows would need to be triple glazed with a large gap.
Basically, an ordinary building with walls of standard mass would represent an expensive project if you wanted a high spec proofing. How much money are you prepared to spend?
The dust and loudspeaker question is also hard to answer. There is a lot of air movement with a sub-woofer and that could cause dust to be blown out.
P.S Don't try that demo with sand on a loudspeaker cone if you ever want to use the speaker for music listening. Once you get a tiny bit of grit in between the voice coil and the magnet, you will always hear it and the speaker is, to all intents and purposes, dead. (Except for repeating the demo.)

1. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums by creating vibrations that travel through the medium's molecules. In a solid, the molecules are closely packed together, allowing sound to travel quickly. In a liquid, the molecules are more spread out, causing sound to travel at a slower pace. In a gas, the molecules are even more spread out, resulting in sound traveling at a slower speed than in a liquid.

2. What is the difference between pitch and volume in sound?

Pitch refers to the highness or lowness of a sound and is determined by the frequency of the sound waves. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch. On the other hand, volume refers to the loudness or softness of a sound and is determined by the amplitude of the sound waves. The larger the amplitude, the louder the sound.

3. How does sound reflect and refract?

Sound reflects when it bounces off a surface, resulting in an echo. The angle of incidence (incoming sound wave) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing sound wave). Sound refracts when it passes through different mediums, causing it to change direction. This is why sound can be heard even around corners or through walls.

4. What is the Doppler effect in sound?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a sound wave when the source of the sound is moving. If the source is moving closer to the listener, the frequency increases, resulting in a higher pitch. If the source is moving away from the listener, the frequency decreases, resulting in a lower pitch. This is commonly experienced with the sound of a siren from an approaching ambulance.

5. How is sound measured and what are the units used?

Sound is measured in decibels (dB) using a device called a decibel meter. The decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in sound intensity. The average human conversation is around 60 dB, while a jet engine is around 140 dB. Prolonged exposure to sound above 85 dB can cause hearing damage.