Question about the point slope formula

In summary, the form of an equation of a line that uses two points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) is the slope-intercept form.
theb2

Homework Statement

What is another form of point slope formula

Homework Equations

Y = mx+b

The Attempt at a Solution

Y - y2 = m(x - x2)
I’m not sure I’m trying to find B but I don’t know how

Physics news on Phys.org
@theb2 , Your equation in the Solution section is the only point-slope form I know. It directly uses the given values of a point (x2, y2) and the slope, m. The equation in your "Relevant equations" is called the "slope-intercept" form. A guess you could rearrange the point-slope equation. Those would be cosmetic changes.

If you want to use a point and a slope to derive the slope-intercept form, then first rearrange your point-slope equation by isolating Y on the left by adding y2 to both sides. Then on the right side, separate the constants to give b and you already have the slope, m. Remember that x2 is a constant and a term with it becomes part of b.

Last edited:
Start with the formula for slope. One point is known and the other point is unknown. Multiply left and right sides by the binomial denominator, and that is the point-slope equation.

Last edited:
theb2 said:

Homework Statement

What is another form of point slope formula

Homework Equations

Y = mx+b
This, above, is the slope-intercept form of the equation of a line. There isn't another form, unless you use different names for the slope and y-intercept parameters.
theb2 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Y - y2 = m(x - x2)
This is the point-slope form of the equation of a line. .
theb2 said:
I’m not sure I’m trying to find B but I don’t know how
You can find the y-intercept, b, by setting x to 0.

Likes FactChecker
x/a + y/b = 1

Likes FactChecker
Young physicist said:
x/a + y/b = 1
Not sure just what you want here. Not sure if it is "Standard Form" or "General Form", but there's this form: Ax+By=C, a very common linear equation form. In your case you simply have A=1/a and B=1/b, and C=1.

You can solve for y in terms of x, and use whatever point you have given or know is on the line to write in point-slope form.
y/b=-x/a+1
y=-(b/a)x+b and slope is -(b/a). But this is still in slope-intercept form.

Let some point (xo, yo) be on this line. Your point slope equation is or can be
y-yo=-(b/a)(x-xo).

Likes YoungPhysicist
symbolipoint said:
Not sure just what you want here. Not sure if it is "Standard Form" or "General Form", but there's this form: Ax+By=C, a very common linear equation form. In your case you simply have A=1/a and B=1/b, and C=1.

You can solve for y in terms of x, and use whatever point you have given or know is on the line to write in point-slope form.
y/b=-x/a+1
y=-(b/a)x+b and slope is -(b/a). But this is still in slope-intercept form.
Thanks. I am actually just viewing this thread and thought: OP needs another form of the formula, so I posted it.Since in the lesson I got from school, x/a +y/b =1 and y= mx+b are considered as different forms.

Young physicist said:
Thanks. I am actually just viewing this thread and thought: OP needs another form of the formula, so I posted it.Since in the lesson I got from school, x/a +y/b =1 and y= mx+b are considered as different forms.
Good. That's a start. Learn to understand, use, and internconvert among the different linear equation forms.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Young physicist said:
x/a + y/b = 1
This is the intercept - intercept form of a line, with x-intercept of a and y-intercept of b .

Likes symbolipoint
SammyS said:
This is the intercept - intercept form of a line, with x-intercept of a and y-intercept of b .
Neat! I never knew to know that as a basic form for a line. The other three forms have been more common. Now this one, two intercepts clearly shown in one equation.

Likes YoungPhysicist
symbolipoint said:
Neat! I never knew to know that as a basic form for a line. The other three forms have been more common. Now this one, two intercepts clearly shown in one equation.
You can now say something at the “today I learned”:wink:

1. What is the point slope formula?

The point slope formula is a mathematical equation that represents the slope of a line passing through a specific point on the line. It is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is the given point and m is the slope of the line.

2. How do I use the point slope formula?

To use the point slope formula, you will need the coordinates of a point on the line and the slope of the line. Plug these values into the formula and then solve for y. The resulting equation will be the equation of the line in slope-intercept form.

3. What is the significance of the point slope formula?

The point slope formula is significant because it allows us to find the equation of a line with only one given point and the slope. This makes it a useful tool in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, such as graphing and solving real-world problems.

4. Can the point slope formula be used for any type of line?

Yes, the point slope formula can be used for any type of line, including vertical and horizontal lines. However, for a horizontal line, the slope will be 0, and for a vertical line, the slope will be undefined.

5. How is the point slope formula related to the slope formula?

The point slope formula and the slope formula are closely related. The slope formula, y2 - y1 / x2 - x1, is used to calculate the slope between two points on a line. The point slope formula is a specific application of the slope formula, where one of the points is known and the slope is given.