Linear equation, point slope conversion

In summary: It was just added info to explain where my slope came from in case someone asked, so I just threw whatever I had out there. I initially made the error puting the simplified form in the denominatior and thought I had acknowledged that, sorry. Next time I will...I think you’re missing a minus sign.yes, thank you, I do that way too often
amerikantech

Homework Statement

convert:
Y − 200 = −4 (X − 15)
to
X = −0.25 ⋅ Y + 65.

with a given Δy/Δx = -36/4

Homework Equations

point slope, slope intercept

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand point slope, slope intercept, and standard form, I understand how to convert one to the other, but I do not understand this conversion. I understand that .25 is the reciprocal of 4, but where does the 65 come from on the bottom equation for the y intercept? I found that if you convert the top equation to slope intercept form (y= -4x+260) and plug 0 into y then x will equal 65.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, let me try to help you.
amerikantech said:
I understand that .25 is the reciprocal of 4
Just think of this as 1/4, no need to complicate it.
amerikantech said:
I understand point slope, slope intercept, and standard form, I understand how to convert one to the other, but I do not understand this conversion.
Don't think of the conversion as a set step of moves you need to execute to convert. You are trying to reach a goal. In this case, you are trying to move an equation of form ##y-a=m(x-b)## to an equation with one variable on one side and everything else on the other side.

Think about what algebra will be involved in the question, don't think about conversions. What operations? What techniques?

Write down each step carefully and think about what you are doing each step of the way.

Likes amerikantech and scottdave
Hi tech, :welcome:

You rewrote to y = f(x) but the exercise wants x = g(y), so bring -4x to the left (add 4x on both sides), and y and the constants to the right .

amerikantech said:
what do those words have to do with the exercise ?

Likes amerikantech
What do you get if you solve for x in terms of y?

Likes amerikantech
amerikantech said:
...with a given Δy/Δx = -36/4

The Attempt at a Solution

...but where does the 65 come from on the bottom equation for the y intercept? I found that if you convert the top equation to slope intercept form (y= -4x+260) and plug 0 into y then x will equal 65.
I don't think the Δy/Δx = -36/4 belongs with this problem. The equation is for a straight line, therefore has a constant slope (Δy/Δx), and it is not equal to -36/4.

As far as the 65. When you have an equation y = some function, the constant portion of that function will be the y-intercept.

So if you have x = some function, the constant portion of that function will be the x-intercept.

Likes amerikantech
lekh2003 said:
Ok, let me try to help you.

Just think of this as 1/4, no need to complicate it.

Don't think of the conversion as a set step of moves you need to execute to convert. You are trying to reach a goal. In this case, you are trying to move an equation of form ##y-a=m(x-b)## to an equation with one variable on one side and everything else on the other side.

Think about what algebra will be involved in the question, don't think about conversions. What operations? What techniques?

Write down each step carefully and think about what you are doing each step of the way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right, this problem I thought about too much I found out 4x/4 = 1/4 * y + 260/4, thank you

amerikantech said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right, this problem I thought about too much I found out 4x/4 = 1/4 * y + 260/4, thank you
I think you’re missing a minus sign.

Likes amerikantech
correction the slope was -36/9 and I justed added the slope for extra information. I meant to put the coordinate (15,200) for added information as well.

Thank you all for the replys, I found that I was thinking about the problem a little too much. This problem came from a given example that I was trying to understand.

what the problem was doing: Y − 200 = −4(X − 15) => 4x/4 = -1/4 * y + 260/4 => X = −0.25 * Y + 65

Chestermiller said:
I think you’re missing a minus sign.
yes, thank you, I do that way too often

amerikantech said:

amerikantech said:
correction the slope was -36/9
Why are you writing these numbers in these unsimplified forms? -36/4 = -9 (which has nothing to do with this problem), and -36/9 = -4. You're making things harder for yourself by not simplying fractions.

Mark44 said:
Why are you writing these numbers in these unsimplified forms? -36/4 = -9 (which has nothing to do with this problem), and -36/9 = -4. You're making things harder for yourself by not simplying fractions.
It was just added info to explain where my slope came from in case someone asked, so I just threw whatever I had out there. I initially made the error puting the simplified form in the denominatior and thought I had acknowledged that, sorry. Next time I will only include what I am after.

So how did you get from a slope of -9 to y = -4x plus something? That equation is saying slope of -4, not -9. Did you mean to say -36/9 perhaps?

Likes amerikantech
scottdave said:
So how did you get from a slope of -9 to y = -4x plus something? That equation is saying slope of -4, not -9. Did you mean to say -36/9 perhaps?
yes, I initially made the error puting the simplified form in the denominatior. -36/9 was supposed to be the original slope

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation in which the highest exponent of the variable is 1. It can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you convert a linear equation to point slope form?

To convert a linear equation from slope-intercept form to point-slope form, you can use the formula y – y1 = m(x – x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is a point on the line.

3. What is the significance of point slope form in linear equations?

Point-slope form is useful for finding the equation of a line when given a point and slope, or for graphing a line when given the equation. It also allows for the direct calculation of the slope and y-intercept.

4. Can point slope form be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, point-slope form can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By converting both equations to point-slope form, you can set the y-values equal to each other and solve for x, then plug that value back into either equation to solve for y.

5. How is point slope form related to the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

Point-slope form and slope-intercept form are two different ways of writing the same equation for a line. Point-slope form emphasizes the slope and a single point on the line, while slope-intercept form emphasizes the slope and y-intercept.