Question about the power rating of a transformer

In summary: JimIn summary, high frequency AC can be obtained from battery DC by using an oscillator. This allows for smaller and lighter transformers, and can be helpful for electric aircraft applications that need high voltages.
RobertGC
In some aerospace applications you need high voltages in the range of kilovolts. This is commonly supplied by transformers. However, transformers because of their iron cores are heavy. But in aerospace being lightweight is a key requirement.

In the thread "Question about power capacity of electrical motors", I noted that high current density wires could improve the power to weight ratio of electric motors.

The same question pertains to transformers: could high current density wires improve the power level rating of transformers in relation to their weight?

Bob Clark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aircraft AC power systems often use 400 Hz because that makes the transformers smaller and lighter.

Frequency is another degree of freedom you can adjust.

Also remember that higher voltages means lower currents for the same power. Therefore ideas that improve the conductivity of wires is more important at low voltages than high voltages.

Likes RobertGC and Asymptotic
RobertGC said:
The same question pertains to transformers: could high current density wires improve the power level rating of transformers in relation to their weight?

Well, sure . It takes less core to encircle small wires than large ones.

RobertGC said:
But in aerospace being lightweight is a key requirement.
Back to basics:
By raising frequency you lessen the amount of iron you need to achieve given dΦ/dt,
as well as the number of turns of wire you need to wrap around that iron to achieve desired voltage..
One can combine those two effects to arrive at a practical design.
anorlunda said:
Aircraft AC power systems often use 400 Hz because that makes the transformers smaller and lighter.

As anorlunda observed 400 hz aircraft electrical dates back to at least WW2.
Next logical step was high frequency Switch Mode Power Supply .
Look at the toroid in your PC power supply - better part of a kilowatt through something smaller than a plum?
I remember my amazement at first one i ever saw about 1973.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes RobertGC, Asymptotic and cnh1995
How is high frequency AC obtained from battery DC?

Bob Clark

RobertGC said:

Bob Clark
At the heart of it is an oscillator.

Likes RobertGC
RobertGC said:
Are you asking about WW2 airplanes ? A DC motor runs an AC generator.

Likes Asymptotic
jim hardy said:

I'm really asking in the context of electric powered airplanes, which are intended to run on batteries. No gasoline engine.

Bob Clark

RobertGC said:
I'm really asking in the context of electric powered airplanes, which are intended to run on batteries. No gasoline engine.

Bob Clark
As an example, here's a motor speed controller for drones and RC planes. No inductors at all. It just switches DC on/off to a three-phase Brush-less DC motor. Not sure if that tech scales up for larger motors or not (I think it does, I read a Tesla blog where they compared BLDC to their induction motor, and it wasn't any slam dunk, they both have pros/cons).

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=5546d462580663ef015843a229fe54ea

jim hardy said:

Let me add some clarity. We need thousands of volts for a certain aerospace application that is battery powered. This would normally be done by transformers, to ramp up the battery voltage but transformers have heavy ferrite cores whose weight is precluded in this application. (It needs to be highly weight optimized.)
According to Jim Hardy we can reduce the size of the core by using high frequency AC. Ideally the transformer would even be air-cored with no ferrite core at all.

Bob Clark

Asymptotic said:
At the heart of it is an oscillator.
Thanks for that. The oscillator being electronic would be in keeping with our application since modern electronics are normally lightweight.

Bob Clark

Last edited:
You don't have to invent it yourself. DC to AC conversion is called an "inverter." Plenty of them are available commecially.

Small ones, like this cigarette lighter inverter could be scavenged for just the parts needed in a light weight drone. The schematic is below.

But why have AC at all? Sticking with DC requires zero size or weight for an inverter.
bait-car-power-inverter-car-spy-camera-great-for-bait-cars-ef8.jpg

60W-inverter-using-transitors.png

RobertGC said:
Let me add some clarity. We need thousands of volts for a certain aerospace application that is battery powered.

Hmm a radiation detector of some sort ?
Low current ?
For a look at a practical battery powered step up converter get a disposable film camera and look at the flash unit with its bean sized toroid.. Be careful taking it apart though, the flash capacitor is usually charged to a couple hundred volts.

Victoreen used to be a friendly company. I've been to their factory and they were practical folks.
If your project is radiation measurement it might be worth giving them a look.

old jim

1. What is the power rating of a transformer?

The power rating of a transformer refers to the maximum amount of power that the transformer can handle without overheating or malfunctioning. It is typically measured in units of kilovolt-amperes (kVA) or megavolt-amperes (MVA).

2. How is the power rating of a transformer determined?

The power rating of a transformer is determined by the manufacturer based on the materials and design of the transformer. It is also dependent on factors such as the size and type of the transformer, as well as the voltage and current levels it is designed to handle.

3. Can the power rating of a transformer be changed?

The power rating of a transformer is fixed and cannot be changed. Altering the power rating of a transformer can result in damage to the transformer and potentially cause electrical hazards. It is important to use a transformer with the appropriate power rating for the intended application.

4. How does the power rating of a transformer affect its performance?

The power rating of a transformer directly affects its performance. A transformer with a higher power rating can handle larger loads and provide more power output, while a transformer with a lower power rating may be limited in the amount of power it can handle. Using a transformer with the correct power rating is crucial for efficient and safe operation.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with transformers and their power ratings?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when working with transformers and their power ratings. It is important to use a transformer with the appropriate power rating for the intended application to avoid overheating and potential electrical hazards. It is also important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when handling and installing transformers to prevent accidents and injuries.