Question about the solutions of the dirac equation

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for solving the Dirac equation in Greiner's text on relativistic quantum mechanics. In chapter 2, the equation is treated as a system of coupled differential equations and solved through inspection, resulting in a term in the exponent with a sign that also appears in the normalization constant and vector. In chapter 6, the solutions at rest are used to generate an arbitrary solution through a Lorentz transformation, but the phase is assumed to be given by a different expression with a positive time component. This appears to produce inconsistent results with the relative signing of terms in the phase factor. The latter method is often presented in the context of the Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation, but the reasoning is
SheikYerbouti
I am working through Greiner's text on relativistic quantum mechanics and I am confused about what appear to be two somewhat contradictory ways of presenting the solutions of the Dirac equation. In chapter 2, he just treats the equation as a system of coupled differential equations and solves the thing by inspections. He ends up with the term [itex]\frac{i}{\hbar}(\vec{p}\cdot \vec{x} - \lambda E t)[/itex] in the exponent, where E is the magnitude of the energy and [itex]\lambda[/itex] determines the sign of the energy. The energy with the sign in front of it also appears in the normalization constant and in the vector. In chapter 6, he finds the solutions at rest and uses a Lorentz transformation to generate an arbitrary solution. However, he does so by assuming that the phase is given by [itex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\epsilon_r p^{\mu}x_{\mu}[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon_r = \pm 1[/itex] depending on which type of solution we are using. However, he defines the time component of the four-momentum to always be positive. Additionally, when he finds the general form of a Lorentz boost [itex]S[\Lambda] = cosh(\frac{\chi}{2})I + (\hat{\chi}\cdot \vec{\alpha})sinh(\frac{\chi}{2})[/itex] where [itex]\chi[/itex] is the boost parameter, he states that this always leads to strictly positive time components of the four-momentum (other notes that I have found do so as well). It appears as if these two ways of presenting the solutions produce inconsistent results with the relative signing of terms in the phase factor. In the other notes I have found, the latter way of finding the solutions/ the same form was presented in the context of the Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation, but I am having some difficulty with this since I can't really reason this out since I don't understand the form of the solutions used to reason it out. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could elaborate on this and clear things up for me. If my problem isn't clear, just let me know and I will do what I can to elaborate.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make too much of a difference as far as my issue is concerned, but for the sake of accuracy, the second expression for the phase should be [itex]-\frac{i}{\hbar}\epsilon_r p^{\mu} x_{\mu}[/itex]. I see that this is in agreement for the positive energy solutions, but my problem still exists for the negative energy solutions.

Related to Question about the solutions of the dirac equation

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in quantum systems. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is significant because it was the first successful attempt at combining quantum mechanics with special relativity, providing a better understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It also predicted the existence of antimatter, which was later confirmed by experiments.

3. What are the solutions of the Dirac equation?

The solutions of the Dirac equation are the wave functions that describe the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a quantum system. These solutions also contain information about the particle's spin, energy, and momentum.

4. How is the Dirac equation used in physics?

The Dirac equation is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and has been used to make predictions and explanations in various experiments and theories.

5. What are some challenges in solving the Dirac equation?

Some challenges in solving the Dirac equation include dealing with its mathematical complexity, which requires advanced mathematical techniques, and incorporating it into a more comprehensive theory that can explain the behavior of all fundamental particles. Additionally, the Dirac equation does not fully account for the effects of gravity, making it challenging to incorporate into theories of gravity, such as general relativity.