Question about the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem - Pulling a cart

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a cart sliding on a frictionless horizontal rail. The cart is attached to a cord that is pulled over a pulley, and the tension in the cord is constant throughout the movement. The conversation includes a derivation of the formula for calculating work done by a force and a discussion of two different approaches to solving the problem. The expert summarizer highlights the error in the first approach and provides a correct solution using the second approach. The final answer is 41.73 joules.
titansarus

Homework Statement

Question from Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday, Resnick, Walker)
This figure below shows a cord attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, of negligible mass and friction and at cord height ##h = 1.20 m##, so the cart slides from ##x1 = 3.00## m to ##x2 = 1.00 m##. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant ##25.0 N##.What is the change in the kinetic energy of the cart during
physics question 3.png

Homework Equations

##\int dw = \int F . dr##

The Attempt at a Solution

At first we get that ##x/1.2 = cot \theta## so ##dx = -1.2 (1 + cot ^ 2 \theta) d\theta ##

Now I don't know whether to integrate the FIRST Or SECOND: (angles from ##x_1=3## to ##x_2=1## change from##\theta_1 = 0.380506377## to ##\theta_2 = 0.87605805059## radian)

FIRST: ##W= \int dw = \int _3^1 25 . dx = \int _{0.380}^{0.876} 25 * 1.2 (1 + cot ^ 2 \theta) d\theta = 41.67 J##

or using $$F = 25 cos \theta$$ and
SECOND: ##W= \int dw = \int _3^1 25 cos\theta . dx = \int _{0.380}^{0.876} 25 * cos \theta * 1.2 (1 + cot ^ 2 \theta) d\theta = 34.77 J##

The book itself solved it with another solution using pythagoras theorem and got the first answer but I want to solve it using angles and don't know why the first one gives the answer of the book. I think second one makes more sense.

Attachments

• physics question 3.png
    physics question 3.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 776
Physics news on Phys.org
The setup for the first integral is incorrect. The correct expression is ##dW=\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}=F~\cos \theta ~dx##.
The setup for the second integral is correct for the reason above.
Having said that, note that ##dx=-h \csc^2 (\theta)d\theta=-h\frac{d\theta}{\sin^2(\theta)}##. It makes the integral calculation easier.

Last edited:
Likes titansarus and Delta2
Last edited:
Likes titansarus
kuruman said:
The setup for the first integral is incorrect. The correct expression is ##dW=\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}=F~\cos \theta ~dx##.
The setup for the second integral is correct for the reason above.
Having said that, note that ##dx=-h \csc^2 (\theta)d\theta=-h\frac{d\theta}{\sin^2(\theta)}##. It makes the integral calculation easier.

Delta² said:
You have some calculation errors in both cases and also the first integral formula is wrong. The second integral is the correct one, and its correct evaluation is 41.7262 according to wolfram
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+25*1.2*cosx*(1+cot^2x)dx+from+0.380506377+to+0.87605805059

EDIT: I used x entering the integral expression at wolfram but I meant ##\theta##, its the same thing for wolfram purposes.

Yes It seems my answer got wrong because I forgot to multiply 34.77 by 1.2 in calculations. And because the answer of the first one get numerically close to the book answer and the actual answer of the book was approximately 42, I thought the second one is Incorrect.

Thanks.

titansarus said:
Yes It seems my answer got wrong because I forgot to multiply 34.77 by 1.2 in calculations. And because the answer of the first one get numerically close to the book answer and the actual answer of the book was approximately 42, I thought the second one is Incorrect.
You could have saved yourself some trouble if you postponed the numerical substitution until the very end. It's a good habit. There is no need to find any angles. See solution below
$$W=\int_{x_2}^{x_1}F \cos \theta~dx=-Fh\int_{\theta_2}^{\theta_1} \cos \theta~\frac{d\theta}{\sin^2\theta}$$Let ##u=\sin \theta##. Then ##\cos \theta~d\theta=du##. So$$W=-Fh\int_{u_2}^{u_1} \frac{du}{u^2}=+Fh \left(\frac{1}{u_1}-\frac{1}{u_2}\right)=Fh \left(\frac{1}{\sin \theta_1}-\frac{1}{\sin \theta_2}\right).$$From the diagram, ##\sin \theta_i=\frac{opp}{hyp}=\frac{h}{\sqrt{x_i^2+h^2}}##. Substitute in the equation above to get,$$W=F \left(\sqrt{x_1^2+h^2}-\sqrt{x_2^2+h^2}\right)=25(N)\times \left(\sqrt{3^2+1.2^2}(m)-\sqrt{1^2+1.2^2}(m)\right)=41.73~J$$

Likes titansarus

1. What is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its velocity.

2. How does pulling a cart relate to the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

When you pull a cart, you are exerting a force on the cart. This force does work on the cart, causing it to move and gain kinetic energy. According to the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem, the work you do on the cart is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. Can you explain the equation for the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

The equation for the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is W = ΔKE = ½mv2 - ½mv02, where W is the work done on the object, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, v is the final velocity, and v0 is the initial velocity. This equation shows that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

4. What are some real-life examples of the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

Some real-life examples of the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem include pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, and riding a bike. In all of these scenarios, work is done on the object, causing it to gain kinetic energy.

5. Is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem always applicable?

No, the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is only applicable in situations where there is no change in potential energy. This means that the object is only moving horizontally and there are no changes in elevation. If there are any changes in potential energy, then the work done on the object will not be equal to the change in kinetic energy.