Question about this Capacitor voltage integral equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the equation v(t) = 1/C ∫tt0 i(τ) dτ + v(t0) from v(t)=1/C ∫t-∞ i(τ) dτ, which describes the change in capacitor voltage as current flows through it. The initial voltage is represented by v(t0) and the two equations are equivalent due to the property of integration.
JMFernandez
Hi.

I don´t know if this question should be in the maths forum, but as it´s related with circuit analysis, I will post it here. I just would like to know how you get:

v(t) = 1/C ∫tt0 i(τ) dτ + v(t0)

v(t)=1/C ∫t-∞ i(τ) dτ

I just know the basics of calculus and I don´t know how to operate the second equation to get the first one.

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JMFernandez said:
Hi.

I don´t know if this question should be in the maths forum, but as it´s related with circuit analysis, I will post it here. I just would like to know how you get:

v(t) = 1/C ∫tt0 i(τ) dτ + v(t0)

v(t)=1/C ∫t-∞ i(τ) dτ

I just know the basics of calculus and I don´t know how to operate the second equation to get the first one.

Thank you in advance.
The equation describes how the cap voltage changes as current flows through it. Fortunately, all of the history of past current flow(s) is represented by the voltage at any time. That is what the initial voltage ##v(t_o)## is. Since that doesn't depend on the variable ##t##, we can just call it a constant value, the "initial condition" of the capacitor. So,

$$v(t) = \frac{1}{C} \int_{-∞}^{t} i(\tau) \, d\tau = \frac{1}{C} \int_{-∞}^{t_o} i(\tau) \, d\tau + \frac{1}{C} \int_{t_o}^{t} i(\tau) \, d\tau \equiv v(t_o) + \frac{1}{C} \int_{t_o}^{t} i(\tau) \, d\tau$$

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Thank you. Very clear and concise explanation!!
:smile::smile:

Likes berkeman and DaveE

1. What is a capacitor voltage integral equation?

A capacitor voltage integral equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the voltage across a capacitor as a function of time. It takes into account the capacitance of the capacitor and the current flowing through it.

2. How is the capacitor voltage integral equation derived?

The capacitor voltage integral equation is derived from the fundamental principles of electricity and the relationship between voltage, current, and capacitance. It can also be derived from the basic laws of calculus.

3. What is the significance of the capacitor voltage integral equation?

The capacitor voltage integral equation is important for understanding the behavior of capacitors in electronic circuits. It allows engineers to predict and control the voltage across a capacitor, which is crucial for proper circuit design and functionality.

4. Can the capacitor voltage integral equation be used for all types of capacitors?

Yes, the capacitor voltage integral equation can be used for all types of capacitors, as long as the capacitance and current are known. However, it may need to be modified for non-ideal capacitors with factors such as leakage and parasitic capacitance.

5. How is the capacitor voltage integral equation used in practical applications?

The capacitor voltage integral equation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in power supplies, audio amplifiers, and electronic filters. It helps engineers determine the appropriate capacitance and voltage ratings for capacitors in these circuits, as well as predicting the behavior of the circuit over time.