Question about Truss Analysis (Statics)

In summary, the speaker, a civil engineering student, is currently learning about truss analysis in their Statics class. They are questioning how a specific joint can be marked as correct when the equilibrium equations for the forces do not seem to add up. They are seeking clarification on this issue.
ktw
Homework Statement
Whoops.. accidentally wrote everything in the solution box! Please see below.
Relevant Equations
Fx=0, Fy=0
Hi, I am a civil engineering student currently taking Statics. We are doing truss analysis in the class right now; and I know that this joint is marked as correct.
20191101_202114.jpg
1572658249753.png

However, I don't see how this is even possible. I begin by considering this a concurrent 2D force system, Fy = 0 & Fx = 0. The equilibrium equation for Fy is -P + (1/√5)√5 * P + (1/√5)T = 0 ; where sin(θ) = (1/√5) and T is the diagonal that is following the line 8->5. I do not understand how the value of T can equal zero and then the member connecting joint 8 to joint 9 can also be zero; considering this would imply that (2/√5)√5P + 0 = 0 using the equilibrium equation Fx = 0. I understand zero force members and I do not think member 8->9 can be visually determined to be zero. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks, Kyle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at this closely.. there's no way that the solution is correct. My TA must have been mistaken. Thanks for looking at my question

1. What is truss analysis in statics?

Truss analysis in statics is a method used to determine the internal forces and reactions in a truss structure, which is a type of rigid framework commonly used in engineering and construction.

2. What is the purpose of truss analysis?

The purpose of truss analysis is to determine the stability and strength of a truss structure, as well as to identify any potential weaknesses or areas of concern in the design.

3. What are the basic assumptions made in truss analysis?

The basic assumptions of truss analysis include: the truss is made of straight, rigid members, all joints are pinned and allow for both rotation and translation, and the truss is loaded only at the joints.

4. What are the different methods used for truss analysis?

The most commonly used methods for truss analysis include method of joints, method of sections, and graphical method. These methods involve breaking down the truss into smaller, more manageable sections and using equations and diagrams to calculate the internal forces and reactions.

5. What factors can affect the results of truss analysis?

The results of truss analysis can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the measurements, the assumptions made in the analysis, and any external forces or conditions that were not accounted for in the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.