Question about vector components

In summary, the conversation discusses resolving vectors into components, whether they always form right angles, and the difference between resolving a vector and finding its components in a given direction. It is possible to resolve a vector into any two directions, but when finding components in non-orthogonal directions, they cannot be added together to recover the original vector.
ianc1339
Homework Statement
Posted in image below
Relevant Equations
Basic trigonometric identities
1605208524915.png

The answer is D (60 degrees) and I understand how to get that answer. But this assumes that the new velocity's component of v/4 can form right angles with another component of the new velocity.

So I'm confused whether vector components always form right angles to each other. When I searched this up, I have seen vector diagrams with components that do not form right angles to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianc1339 said:
Homework Statement:: Posted in image below
Relevant Equations:: Basic trigonometric identities

View attachment 272531

The answer is D (60 degrees) and I understand how to get that answer. But this assumes that the new velocity's component of v/4 can form right angles with another component of the new velocity.

So I'm confused whether vector components always form right angles to each other. When I searched this up, I have seen vector diagrams with components that do not form right angles to each other.
Typically one resolves into components which are at right angles to each other, but it is possible to resolve into any two directions that are not collinear.
Suppose we wish to express vector v in terms of vectors v1, v2. I.e. we need to solve ##\vec v=a_1\vec v_1+a_2\vec v_2##. Taking dot products, ##\vec v.\vec v_1=a_1\vec v_1^2+a_2\vec v_1.\vec v_2## and, ##\vec v.\vec v_2=a_1\vec v_1.\vec v_2+a_2\vec v_2^2##. That's a pair of simultaneous equations we can solve for a1, a2.
But if we ask what components a vector v has in the two directions, that's different. The component of v in the direction v1 is ##c_1\vec v_1=\frac {\vec v.\vec v_1} {|\vec v_1|^2}\vec v_1##.
If v1 and v2 above are at right angles then ##c_1=a_1##, but not otherwise. That is, if you find the components of a vector in the directions of two vectors not at right angles then you cannot add the components together to recover the original vector.

Likes ianc1339
Vectors can always be written as the sum of two (or more) component vectors. One does this to make the physics clearer or the math easier to deal with. A useful usual decomposition is to take the component vectors parallel to your choice of coordinate axes. Then the components will always be orthogonal. But the choice is yours...

Likes ianc1339
haruspex said:
Typically one resolves into components which are at right angles to each other, but it is possible to resolve into any two directions that are not collinear.
Suppose we wish to express vector v in terms of vectors v1, v2. I.e. we need to solve ##\vec v=a_1\vec v_1+a_2\vec v_2##. Taking dot products, ##\vec v.\vec v_1=a_1\vec v_1^2+a_2\vec v_1.\vec v_2## and, ##\vec v.\vec v_2=a_1\vec v_1.\vec v_2+a_2\vec v_2^2##. That's a pair of simultaneous equations we can solve for a1, a2.
But if we ask what components a vector v has in the two directions, that's different. The component of v in the direction v1 is ##c_1\vec v_1=\frac {\vec v.\vec v_1} {|\vec v_1|^2}\vec v_1##.
If v1 and v2 above are at right angles then ##c_1=a_1##, but not otherwise. That is, if you find the components of a vector in the directions of two vectors not at right angles then you cannot add the components together to recover the original vector.

"but it is possible to resolve into any two directions that are not collinear"

"if you find the components of a vector in the directions of two vectors not at right angles then you cannot add the components together to recover the original vector"

Aren't these two statements contradicting?

You can determine the component in any other direction using a unit vector in that direction. But, when you want to determine the equation for the speed using the other component (resolved in this way), it is not as easy to express the speed as when the normal direction is used.

ianc1339 said:
"but it is possible to resolve into any two directions that are not collinear"

"if you find the components of a vector in the directions of two vectors not at right angles then you cannot add the components together to recover the original vector"

Aren't these two statements contradicting?
No, I am distinguishing between resolving, i.e. expressing one vector as a linear sum of given others, and finding components in given directions. They only come to the same when finding components in a set of orthogonal directions.

An example should help. Clearly (1,1)=(1,0)+(0,1), so I can express (1,0) as the linear sum (1,1)-(0,1). But the component of (1,0) in the direction (0,1) is (0,0), and the component of (1,0) in the direction (1,1) is (1/√2,1/√2). Adding those components does not recover (1,0).

See https://yutsumura.com/express-a-vector-as-a-linear-combination-of-other-vectors/ for a 3D example.

Last edited:

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts or dimensions of a vector. They are typically represented by the x, y, and z axes in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometry and the magnitude and direction of the vector. The x-component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle, and the y-component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector components?

Scalar components only have magnitude, while vector components have both magnitude and direction. This means that scalar components are represented by a single number, while vector components are represented by multiple numbers or dimensions.

4. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates the direction of the vector in relation to the chosen coordinate system. A negative x-component would indicate a vector pointing to the left, while a negative y-component would indicate a vector pointing downwards.

5. How are vector components used in physics?

Vector components are used in physics to describe the motion and forces acting on objects in three-dimensional space. They can be used to calculate the net force acting on an object, as well as its velocity and acceleration in different directions.