Question on Amps kills not Volts

• Thread starter A_Thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amps Volts
In summary, electricity is measured in amps and volts. The amps flowing through your heart are what can be dangerous, not the voltage. With a 2 amp circuit on a 9 volt battery, the resistance of your body will greatly reduce the current flowing through your heart. However, it is still important to be cautious and aware of the potential danger of electricity, as illustrated by a true story of someone who died from a low-voltage multi-meter.
A_Thinker
From what I understand about electricity, it would be the amps flowing through your heart not through the circuit of which you touch. If I have a 2 amp circuit on a nine volt battery, it would not kill me because there is only 9 volts. Ohm's law says this will be drastically reduced by the immense resistance of my body. The amperes through my heart will be much less then 100 milli amperes. Am I right or is there something I am forgetting?

I apologize for not shaping this post up better, class is almost over.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between amps and volts?

Amps and volts are two units of measurement used to describe different properties of electricity. Amps, or amperes, measure the flow of electric current, while volts measure the force or pressure of the electricity. Think of it like water in a pipe - amps are like the amount of water flowing through the pipe, while volts are like the water pressure pushing the water through the pipe.

2. Can amps kill you?

Yes, amps can be dangerous and potentially fatal. The amount of current flowing through your body, measured in amps, determines the severity of an electric shock. As little as 0.1 amps can be enough to cause muscle contractions and difficulty letting go of the source of the shock, while 0.2 amps or more can be deadly.

3. How many volts does it take to kill you?

While volts do play a role in the danger of electric shock, it is the amount of current, measured in amps, that is the most important factor. The amount of voltage needed to be lethal varies depending on factors such as the resistance of the human body and the path the current takes, but as a general rule, 50 volts or more can be dangerous.

4. Why is it said that amps kill and not volts?

The phrase "amps kill, not volts" refers to the fact that it is the amount of current, not the amount of voltage, that is the main determining factor in the danger of electric shock. While high voltage can cause damage to the body, it is the flow of current that can disrupt the body's natural electrical signals and potentially be fatal.

5. How can I protect myself from electric shock?

To protect yourself from electric shock, it is important to understand the potential hazards and take precautions. This can include using properly grounded outlets and equipment, avoiding contact with electricity when wet or near water, and using protective gear such as gloves and goggles when working with electricity. It is also important to never attempt to fix electrical issues unless you are trained and qualified to do so.