Question On Calculating The Maximum Torque That A Screwdriver Can Transmit

In summary, the question involves determining the maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit, given its dimensions and allowable twist and shear stress. The key to solving the problem is to add the twist angles of the bar and bit together, as they both transmit the same torque. Then, using the given values for G, length, and angle of twist, the maximum torque can be calculated.
Ben Jamin
Hi i need some help on solving a question from a past paper. I am revising for an exam in applied engineering mechanics.

Question:
A screwdriver is designed so that the bit is 5mm wide and 1mm deep and is 25mm long, this is welded to a cylindrical bar 12mm in diameter and 100mm long. If the maximum twist allowable is 1 degree and the allowable shear stress within the bar is 40MPa and G=80Gpa. Determine the maximum torque that the screwdriver can transmit.

You are also given a table of coefficients for rectangular bars in torsion

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben! :wink:
Ben Jamin said:
A screwdriver is designed so that the bit is 5mm wide and 1mm deep and is 25mm long, this is welded to a cylindrical bar 12mm in diameter and 100mm long. If the maximum twist allowable is 1 degree and the allowable shear stress within the bar is 40MPa and G=80Gpa. Determine the maximum torque that the screwdriver can transmit.

You are also given a table of coefficients for rectangular bars in torsion

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Basically what I am finding difficult is working out how to include both the bar and the bit. Do i do the entire calculation taking it as one singular piece or do i calculate the torque required to revolve the bar by 1 degree and then do the same separately for the bit. Would i then just take the maximum allowable torque as the piece which could withstand the lower torque value.

I couldn't see how i could do it as one piece as the both the bar and the bit deform in different ways?

I calculated J(bar) and then worked out the Torque value from (angle of twist) =(TL)/(JG)

But this only includes the bar, i thought by incorporating (angle of twist) =(TL)/(C*ab^3*G)

For the rectangular bit would give me two torque values and i could choose the smaller one but the question does not provide G for the bit.

This is where I am lost?

the torque on each section is the same (why?) …

so the total angle of twist, for any particular torque, τ, is the sum of the two individuals angles of twist for that torque, τ :wink:

Well the torque is transmitted through the bar i suppose. I guess you take the end of the bit to be fixed. That the screwdriver is being used in a traditional sense. I don't see how you calculate the torque in the bit

Ben Jamin said:
I don't see how you calculate the torque in the bit

the torque is fixed

you need to calculate the angle of twist in the bit

Were not given the torque in the question.

So would i need to calculate the torque in the cylindrical bar using the angle of twist, J, the length L and G?

(angle of twist) =(TL)/(JG)

or, and,

(G (angle of twist))/L = T/J

They both give me the same result. (I don't understand why iv been give allowable shear stress in the bar if I am not using.)

You said i need to calculate the angle of twist in the bit. Iv been given a maximum allowable angle of twist. I need to find out the maximum torque which can be transmitted.

Ben Jamin: G is the same for both the cylindrical bar and the rectangular bit, and is given in post 1. Yes, you take the end of the bit as fixed.

(1) By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 5 mm, not 5mm.

(2) Always use correct spelling and capitalization of units. E.g., 80 GPa, not 80 Gpa.​

Do not worry about allowable shear stress yet. We can discuss it later.

First, as mentioned by tiny-tim in post 4, add the twist angle of the bar and bit together. I.e., add together the right-hand sides of your two equations in post 3, then set this summation equal to 1 deg, converted to radians. Then solve for torque T. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help i understand now. Basically the only piece of information that confused me was that G was equal for both the bar and the bit. I can calculate the final torques now and just in time for my exam.

Thanks
Ben

What is torque and why is it important for screwdrivers?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of a screwdriver, it is the amount of force needed to turn it and drive a screw into a surface. It is important because it determines the maximum amount of force that a screwdriver can transmit, which is crucial for tasks that require a specific amount of torque, such as tightening screws without damaging them.

What factors affect the maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit, including the length of the screwdriver, the material it is made of, the shape and size of the handle, and the type of screw being used. Additionally, the amount of force applied by the user and the condition of the screwdriver can also impact its maximum torque.

How is the maximum torque of a screwdriver calculated?

The maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit can be calculated using the formula T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the center of the screwdriver to the point where the force is applied. This formula takes into account the length of the screwdriver and the amount of force applied.

Are there different types of torque for different types of screwdrivers?

Yes, there are different types of torque for different types of screwdrivers. For example, a manual screwdriver will have a different maximum torque than an electric screwdriver. Additionally, the shape and size of the screwdriver's handle can also affect the maximum torque that it can transmit.

Is there a limit to the maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum torque that a screwdriver can transmit. This limit is determined by the strength and design of the screwdriver, as well as the material and condition of the screw being used. Applying too much torque can cause the screwdriver to break or strip the screw, which can result in damage to the screw, the screwdriver, or both.