Question on Harmonic Oscillator Series Derivation

In summary, the conversation discussed an alternate method for finding the energy levels of a harmonic oscillator in David Griffith's 'Introduction to Quantum Mechanics'. The method involved factoring a second order differential equation and solving it individually before inserting the solutions into an exponential. The justification for this method was questioned and it was explained that the commutation relation between the variables changes the formula slightly.
TRB8985
TL;DR Summary
What is the mathematical justification for being able to use the solutions of single-order DE's for a second-order DE?
Good afternoon all,

On page 51 of David Griffith's 'Introduction to Quantum Mechanics', 2nd ed., there's a discussion involving the alternate method to getting at the energy levels of the harmonic oscillator. I'm filling in all the steps between the equations on my own, and I have a question between equation [2.74] and [2.75]. In particular, starting with the 2nd order DE:

$$\frac{d^2\psi}{d\xi^2} \approx \xi^2\psi $$​
I found in a similar post elsewhere that we can't attack this expression using the typical characteristic equation method, since we end up with:
$$\lambda^2 = \xi^2 $$​
and with ##\xi## playing the role of our variable, that's not allowed. To be honest, I don't quite understand why that's an issue, but I pressed on and found a suggestion to instead factor the first equation in the following manner:
$$\frac{d^2\psi}{d\xi^2} - \xi^2\psi = 0$$
$$(\frac{d^2}{d\xi^2} - \xi^2)\psi = 0 $$
$$(\frac{d^2}{d\xi^2}+\xi)(\frac{d^2}{d\xi^2} - \xi)\psi=0 $$​
Separating these two factors is easy using separation of variables, and I end up with what I see in the form of Griffiths' answer in 2.75. My two solutions would be:
$$\psi(\xi)_1 = \xi^2/2 + constant$$
$$\psi(\xi)_2 = -\xi^2/2 + constant$$​
What's missing in my understanding is the justification to take these solutions of these single-order differential equations and string them together in exponentials to become the following:
$$\psi(\xi) \approx Ae^{-\xi^2/2} +Be^{\xi^2/2}$$​
I am aware that, generally speaking, when solving 2nd order differential equations the substitution of ##e^{\lambda x}## will be used and the characteristic equation is the main plan of attack. In those circumstances, answers generally take the form of the above equation. But in this situation, we didn't solve the characteristic equation. We just factored the expression, solved it individually, then inserted it in the exponent of an exponential. What allows us to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the formula you propose is
[tex](\frac{d}{d\xi}+\xi)(\frac{d}{d\xi}-\xi)\psi=0[/tex]
or
[tex](\frac{d}{d\xi}-\xi)(\frac{d}{d\xi}+\xi)\psi=0[/tex]
However they become
[tex](\frac{d^2}{d^2\xi}-\xi^2 \pm 1)\psi=0[/tex]
due to commutation relation of ##\frac{d}{d\xi}## and ##\xi##. It differs from the original formula.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. Examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass on a spring and a pendulum.

2. How is the harmonic oscillator series derived?

The harmonic oscillator series is derived by using the differential equation that describes the motion of a harmonic oscillator, which is the second-order differential equation: d^2x/dt^2 = -kx/m. By solving this equation using mathematical techniques such as the power series method, we can obtain a series solution for the displacement of the oscillator over time.

3. What is the significance of the harmonic oscillator series?

The harmonic oscillator series is significant because it provides a mathematical representation of the motion of a harmonic oscillator, which is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering. It allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of harmonic oscillators in various systems, such as mechanical systems and electronic circuits.

4. What are the limitations of the harmonic oscillator series?

The harmonic oscillator series is a theoretical model that assumes ideal conditions, such as a perfectly elastic spring and no external forces acting on the oscillator. In reality, these conditions may not be met, which can lead to deviations from the predicted behavior. Additionally, the series may not converge for certain values of the parameters, making it an inaccurate representation of the system.

5. How is the harmonic oscillator series used in real-world applications?

The harmonic oscillator series is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, electronic circuits, and musical instruments. It is also used in fields such as quantum mechanics and molecular dynamics to model the behavior of atoms and molecules. Additionally, the series is used in signal processing and data analysis to identify and filter out periodic signals.