Question on holomorphic functions

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the local behavior of holomorphic functions and how one can find a biholomorphic function around a point. The theorem is a corollary of the inverse function theorem and is explained using the example of the function z^k. One person recommends Cartan's book on holomorphic functions while the other person asks for advice on a different book.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
I'm reading through a book on Riemann surfaces, and I tend to get stuck on some of the proofs (maybe because of my lacking background in complex analysis). Anyway, here it goes:

It's a rather lengthy proof, and I'd prefer not to give it in full detail. The question itself is pretty self-contained.

Let h(z) be a holomorphic function from some open subset of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], with h(0) non-zero.

Then why can one find an open disc around 0 such that is [itex]z \mapsto zh(z)[/itex] is biholomorphic onto its image? I.e., why does it have an inverse near 0?

The theorem is about the local behavour of holomorphic functions, basically that one can biholomorphically transform any non-constant holomorphic function to [itex]z \mapsto z^k[/itex] for some integer k > 0 locally around a point.

Physics news on Phys.org
this is a corollary of the inverse function theorem. the function g(z) = z.h(z). has derivative at z=0 equal to h(0) ≠ 0, hence looks locally near zero like z-->z.

Likes 1 person
That was easier than I thought, thanks mathwonk.

i recommend cartan's book on holomorphic functions of one and several variables.

I have Raghavan Narasimhan & Yves Nievergelt Complex analysis in one variable, what do you think of it? Considering getting a different book, maybe Cartans.

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary and sufficient conditions for complex differentiability.

2. What is the difference between a holomorphic function and a differentiable function?

A holomorphic function is a specific type of differentiable function on the complex plane. While a differentiable function can be defined on the real numbers, a holomorphic function is only defined on the complex numbers.

3. How do you determine if a function is holomorphic?

In order for a function to be considered holomorphic, it must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to both the real and imaginary components must exist and be continuous. This can be checked by taking the partial derivatives and verifying if they satisfy the equations.

4. What are some examples of holomorphic functions?

Some examples of holomorphic functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. The complex conjugate of a holomorphic function is also another holomorphic function.

5. What are some applications of holomorphic functions?

Holomorphic functions are widely used in complex analysis, which has applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are also important in number theory and algebraic geometry. Additionally, they are used in the study of fluid dynamics, as they provide a way to model flow in two-dimensional space.