Gamma function/partial fractions (a problem from my Insights article)

In summary, the simplified equation for the Gamma function is$$\Gamma \left( z \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z-1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \left[ {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\tfrac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\lambda !{\lambda ^{
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm typing up answers to the exercises in my Insight article "A Path to Fractional Integral Representations of Some Special Functions", this problem is from section 1 (Gamma/Beta functions). I need a bit of help with this one:

The problem statement:
1.9) Use partial fraction decomposition to show that ##\forall z \notin {\mathbb{Z}^ - } \cup \left\{ 0 \right\},\;\Gamma \left( z \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \,{\lambda ^{z - 1}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\left( {\lambda - k} \right)\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} \lambda \\ k \end{array}} \right){{\left( {z + k} \right)}^{ - 1}}} ##, where ##\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} \lambda \\ k \end{array}} \right)## is a binomial coefficient.

Solution:
Start by finding the partial fraction decomposition of ##\tfrac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}}## . This is just algebra, set

$$\begin{gathered} \tfrac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \tfrac{{{a_0}}}{z} + \tfrac{{{a_1}}}{{z + 1}} + \cdots + \tfrac{a_{\lambda - 1}}{{z + \lambda - 1}} \\ = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\tfrac{{{a_k}}}{{z + k}}} \\ \end{gathered}$$

(where the second equality is just more compact notation). Multiply by the common denominator to arrive at

$$1 = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{a_k}\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne k \end{subarray}} ^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {z + m} \right)} }$$

To solve this equation for the unknown coefficients ##{a_k}##, set ##z = - n##, for each ##n = 0,1, \ldots ,\lambda - 1##. Then

$$1 = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{a_k}\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne k \end{subarray} }^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {m - n} \right)} } \Rightarrow {a_n} = {\left\{ {\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne n \end{subarray}} ^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {m - n} \right)} } \right\}^{ - 1}}$$

from which ##{a_n} = \tfrac{1}{{\left( { - n} \right)\left( {1 - n} \right) \cdots \left( { - 1} \right) \cdot 1 \cdot 2 \cdots \left( {\lambda - n - 1} \right)}} = \tfrac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^n}}}{{n!\left( {\lambda - n - 1} \right)!}}##. Therefore the desired partial fraction decomposition is

$$\boxed{\frac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\left[ {\frac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}}}{{k!\left( {\lambda - k - 1} \right)!}} \cdot \frac{1}{{z + k}}} \right]} }$$

Hence from the Euler limit form of the Gamma function we have that

$$\Gamma \left( z \right): = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \left[ {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\tfrac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{k!\left( {\lambda - k - 1} \right)!}} \cdot \tfrac{1}{{z + k}}} } \right]$$

which I simplified to

$$\Gamma \left( z \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \,{\lambda ^{z - 1}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\left( {\lambda - k} \right)\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} \lambda \\ k \end{array}} \right){{\left( {z + k} \right)}^{ - 1}}} $$

I don’t understand why Wolfram|Alpha says that the expression I had for ##\Gamma \left( z \right)## (pre-simplification) is only true for ##z > - 1 \vee z \notin \mathbb{Z}##. I think the inequality treats z as real variable and the second statement treats z as complex but non-integer and the union of those domains would be ##\mathbb{C}\backslash {\mathbb{Z}^ - }##, which oddly includes zero? I just wanted to make sure my partial fractions didn’t alter the domain of convergence. Why does Wolfram|Alpha give a different answer for the simplified expression?

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
And this is probably a silly question, but I find myself needing to ask it: when I solved the partial fractions equation for the coefficients in the above, I didn't include the exponential factor ##\lambda ^{z-1}## on the LHS. That is how I solved the problem initially, but upon going to type it up I discovered I lost the paper I hashed it out on. So like how I try to keep simple formulas in my memory by finding an easy way to derive them on the fly, (works for trig and calc at least): I figured I'd just write it up again. That time I included the exponential factor in my partial fractions equation. I did much as that above only upon setting z equal to the nonpositive integers which make all but one of the terms vanish on the RHS (after multiplying by the common denominator) the exponential factor which varies with z changed value of the coefficients in that "solution". Why should I know better? Wouldn't I need a full on power series for that? Yes, I suppose so.
Right, thanks. Good chat!

Last edited:
I tried accessing this blog with a screen reader, it seems to recognize the Math content but the screen reader is not able to recognize the Math characters, whereas it is reading as Math instead of reading the expression.

1. What is the Gamma function?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the factorial function to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter gamma (Γ) and is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-x dx, where z is a complex number.

2. What is the relationship between the Gamma function and partial fractions?

The Gamma function can be expressed as a sum of partial fractions, which can be used to evaluate integrals involving the Gamma function. This is known as the Euler-Maclaurin formula and is given by Γ(z) = 1/z + Σn=1 (1/n - 1/(z+n)), where z is a complex number.

3. What is the use of the Gamma function in mathematics and science?

The Gamma function has many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in areas such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving integrals, series, and probability distributions. It also has connections to other important functions, such as the factorial and the beta function.

4. How is the Gamma function related to the factorial function?

The Gamma function is an extension of the factorial function to real and complex numbers. In fact, for positive integers, the Gamma function is equivalent to the factorial function, i.e. Γ(n) = (n-1)! for n ∈ ℕ. This relationship is the basis for many properties and applications of the Gamma function.

5. Are there any special values or identities associated with the Gamma function?

Yes, there are several special values and identities associated with the Gamma function. For example, Γ(1) = 1, Γ(1/2) = √π, and Γ(n+1) = n! for n ∈ ℕ. The Gamma function also satisfies the functional equation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z), which can be used to extend its domain to include negative numbers and complex numbers with non-integer real parts.