Question on linearizing equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving an RC circuit. The equation for Kirchoff's Voltage Law is provided and it is mentioned that the circuit drawing is not relevant for the given part of the problem. The attempt at solving the problem is described, but there are two problems encountered - finding the maximum voltage and simplifying the right-hand side of the equation. Suggestions are given on how to solve the problem, including isolating the exponential and taking the natural log. It is also mentioned that the measurements were taken on the discharging capacitor, not the charging capacitor. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help and acknowledging a careless error made.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

toconvert.jpg

I posted the entire question, but I am only conserned with part B.

There was a circuit drawing on there but it is irrelevant for this part of the problem. One can solve it without knowing the circuit drawing.

Homework Equations

The application for Kirchoff's Voltage Law results in the equation

Voltage(time in secs) = VoltageMax * (1 - e^(-t / RC) )

The circuit in question is an RC circuit where I have a single capacitor and resistor in a loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have been struggling over how to figure out how to linearize the data. I have simplified the equation to the following form:

[voltageAtTimeT / maxvoltage = (1 - e^(-t /RC) )

And then I wanted to take the natural log to take the -t/RC out of the exponent and linearize it.

However, I run into two problems: I do not know how to find the MaxVoltage as of now and the right hand side would become ln[ 1 - e^(-t / RC) ]. I can not simplify this right-hand side further as there is no law of logarithms that says that ln( a + b) can be simplified into a simpler form.

Thus, I am stuck, and I would appreciated any guidance in how to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you wait forever, what do you think the maximum voltage across the charging capacitor will be?
What if you did some algebra to isolate the exponential on one side of the equation and then take the natural log?

Actually, your measurements were on the discharging capacitor, so you need to linearize that equation. The equation you quoted is for the charging capacitor.

Thank you very much for the help!

It is sad that I made such a careless error in choosing the wrong equation.

What is linearization?

Linearization is the process of approximating a nonlinear equation with a linear one. This involves finding the tangent line at a specific point on the curve, which can then be used to approximate the behavior of the curve in that vicinity.

Why is linearization useful?

Linearization is useful because linear equations are typically easier to work with and solve than nonlinear ones. It is also helpful for making predictions or estimations about the behavior of a nonlinear system.

How do you linearize an equation?

To linearize an equation, you must first choose a point on the curve to use as the center of your approximation. Then, take the derivative of the equation and plug in the x-value of the chosen point to find the slope of the tangent line. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to write the linearized equation.

What are some real-world applications of linearization?

Linearization has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to approximate the behavior of a pendulum or to predict the growth of a population over time.

Are there any limitations to linearization?

Yes, linearization is only an approximation and is only accurate near the chosen point on the curve. It does not accurately represent the behavior of the entire curve, especially if the curve has steep or complex sections. Additionally, linearization assumes that the curve is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case.