Question on The Dichotomy Paradox

• Thread starter LGram16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses Zeno's paradox and questions its validity. The paradox states that it is impossible to reach a destination because one must constantly travel halfway to get there. However, the conversation argues that an object can simply begin moving and reach its destination without being hindered by infinite halfway points. Zeno's paradox is an old concept and is considered to be a product of an underdeveloped understanding of math.
LGram16
Okay, I didn't really know where to post this, but whenever I hear about this paradox it is in a conversation relating to physics. Anyway, for those that don't know the paradox, it states that to get to point 'B', one must get halfway there before they can be all the way there. And to get halfway there, they must get halfway to halfway there (1/4) and so on. In saying this, it is rendered impossible to get to your destination. I am asking why. The distance you are at acts much like an asymptote, getting closer and closer to 0, while never reaching it. If it never reaches 0, then shouldn't there always be a distance to travel, no matter how far you break down 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128 and so on? If there is always a distance to move, than it is possible to begin moving, correct? The paradox assumes that movement is impossible because the pattern continues infinitely, meaning there is no beginning distance for the smallest halfway point to begin, which is true, but the smallest is not needed because an object can simply begin moving, speedily making it's way to 1/4 the distance, and then to 1/2, and finally to point B from point A. Just a thought I had, and wanted to share it with others to see if I was right or wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gordianus said:
The paradox you're referring to is a very old one and is called Zeno's paradox. It's over two thousand years old.
Check the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_paradoxes

I know. I meant how is it true?

It isn't true. (assuming you mean how is it a real paradox) It's basically just a product of an underdeveloped understanding of math (at best!).

I can provide some insight into the Dichotomy Paradox. This paradox is based on the concept of infinite divisibility, where a distance can always be divided into smaller and smaller distances. This means that, theoretically, there is always a distance to travel no matter how small you break it down.

However, in reality, we know that there is a limit to how small a distance can be divided. At the smallest level, distance becomes quantized and cannot be divided any further. This concept is known as the Planck length, which is the smallest unit of length that has any physical meaning.

So, while the paradox may seem to suggest that movement is impossible because there is always a distance to travel, in reality, there is a smallest distance that can be traveled. This means that movement is possible, as an object can simply start moving and reach its destination without being hindered by infinite divisibility.

Additionally, this paradox also assumes that time and space are continuous, when in fact, they may be discrete at the smallest level. This further supports the idea that movement is possible, as there may be a smallest unit of time that an object can travel in.

In conclusion, while the Dichotomy Paradox may seem counterintuitive, it is based on theoretical concepts that do not necessarily reflect the reality of our physical world. As scientists, we must consider all possibilities and theories, but ultimately, we must rely on empirical evidence to determine what is possible and what is not.

What is the Dichotomy Paradox?

The Dichotomy Paradox, also known as the "paradox of Achilles and the tortoise," is a philosophical paradox that was first proposed by the Greek philosopher Zeno of Elea. It states that in a race between Achilles and a tortoise, if the tortoise is given a head start, Achilles will never be able to catch up to the tortoise because he will always have to cover half the distance between them, no matter how small that distance may become.

How does the Dichotomy Paradox relate to infinity?

The Dichotomy Paradox is often used to illustrate the concept of infinity. It suggests that if distance and time can be divided infinitely, then it is impossible to complete a finite race or journey, as there will always be an infinite number of steps to take before reaching the end.

What is the solution to the Dichotomy Paradox?

There are a few different solutions to the Dichotomy Paradox, but the most commonly accepted one is the concept of "infinite series." This solution suggests that while there are an infinite number of steps to take, the time it takes to complete each step also becomes infinitely smaller, allowing the race or journey to be completed in a finite amount of time.

How does the Dichotomy Paradox impact our understanding of motion?

The Dichotomy Paradox raises questions about our understanding of motion and whether or not it is possible to complete a finite journey or reach a destination. It challenges traditional ideas about motion and suggests that it may not be as simple as we once thought.

Why is the Dichotomy Paradox still relevant today?

The Dichotomy Paradox is still relevant today because it continues to raise questions about the nature of time, space, and motion. It challenges our understanding of infinity and forces us to think critically about these concepts. It also has implications in fields such as philosophy, physics, and mathematics.