Question: Pressure Drop Across A Bed Of Stone

In summary, when determining the required pressure for air to pass through a bed of stones in a cooling tower, the permeability of the stones is a key factor. The equation for this is U = C(deltaP/L), where U is superficial air velocity, C is the permeability, delta P is pressure drop, and L is bed length. However, there is some confusion on which velocity to use in the calculation, as some sources mention superficial velocity while others use velocity. It is noted that most people use the Ergun equation, which is related to superficial velocity. Additionally, it is mentioned that the David Mills model is a simplified version of the Ergun model. A resource for calculating the permeability of a rock bed is provided.
nanohydrogen
Dears,

I am going to find out the required pressure for the air to pass through a bed of stone in a cooling tower.

I have read the book: Handbook of pneumatic conveying engineering (by David Mills) and it said that it can be determined by permeability of the stones (15-20mm size). The equation is:
U = C (deltaP/L)
Here it said that:
U is superficial air velocity
C is the permeability
delta P is pressure drop
L is bed length

However, when i try to find out more information on permeability in the internet (actually can't find much information), I find someone just simply mention velocity rather then superficial velocity...Thus, I am frustrated on which velocity should I used in the calculation and experiment determination...

Also, I also find that most ppl calculate the pressure drop by Ergun equation (and is related to superficial velocity this time).

Which model is more suitable for my case indeed??

Thank you very much!...

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is pressure drop across a bed of stone?

Pressure drop across a bed of stone refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid flows through a bed of stones. This is due to the resistance the stones create, causing the fluid to slow down and the pressure to decrease.

What factors affect pressure drop across a bed of stone?

The pressure drop across a bed of stone can be influenced by various factors such as the size and shape of the stones, the porosity of the bed, and the properties of the fluid flowing through it. Additionally, the flow rate and temperature can also affect the pressure drop.

How is pressure drop across a bed of stone calculated?

The pressure drop across a bed of stone can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the properties of the fluid, the geometry of the bed, and the flow rate. Other methods such as the Ergun equation and the Forchheimer equation can also be used to calculate pressure drop.

What are the applications of studying pressure drop across a bed of stone?

Understanding pressure drop across a bed of stone is important in various industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and chemical processing. It can help in designing efficient filtration systems, predicting flow rates, and determining the pressure requirements for a particular process.

How can pressure drop across a bed of stone be reduced?

Pressure drop across a bed of stone can be reduced by using smaller and more uniform stone particles, increasing the porosity of the bed, and optimizing the flow rate and temperature. Additionally, using different bed configurations and incorporating flow control devices can also help in reducing pressure drop.