Two-Phase Pressure Drop (I need an expert)

mastermechanic
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find a relatively accurate pressure drop correlation for horizontal flow of air-oil mixture. I have been testing 7 correlation in my test points however I am still hesitated to select the appropriate one based on the results.

System Props:
* D_pipe:
17.63 mm
* Liquid density: 887 kg/m3
* Total Mass Flux (G): 150-300 kg/m2.s
* Gas density: 0.08-1.4 kg/m3
* T_mix: 423 K
* Mass quality (x) is very low: x<< 0.1 (However, due to low air density void fraction is high)
* Superficial reynolds # (Liquid-Gas): Mostly Laminar - Laminar or Turbulent - Laminar
* Flow pattern: Mostly Slug
* Tested Correlations:
1-) Lockhart - Martinelli
2-) Homogenous Flow w/ Blasius friction
3-) Homogenous Flow w/ Churchill friction
4-) Friedel
5- ) Chisholm's two-phase friction multiplier
6-) Müller-Steinhagen & Heck
7-) Afshin Ghajar's modification of Müller's correlationPROBLEM: I have tested these correlation through my test points but as you can see in the graph below there is a huge discrepancy between (1-2-3-4-5) and (6-7). The reason behind it is because first five correlations are based on homogenous flow (HFM) assumption however my test range is mostly slug flow. Müller and Afshin correlations are claimed to be accurate in this range but the results also seem too much to me.

plot.PNG

* I didn't quite capture why the increase and decrease trends of HFM and (6-7) are inverse at some regions.

* Although my test range has lost of parameters that all change throughout the mission points, the lockhart-martinelli nearly didn't change at all. (L-M method is usually suggested for G<100 maybe thats the reason)

* The pipeline is in fact has some bends and slight inclinations at some points so I would not expect any laminar behavior in contrast to what Re numbers tell us.

Overall, although I am sure of the flow pattern and Muller's correlation is claimed to be most accurate over the entire flow patterns, the large difference and high pressure drop made me suspicious since all other correlations (although they're HFM) are laid well below. I have been thinking if I am doing wrong, if I can model the flow via HFM)

I am waiting for your valuable comments and help to select appropriate correlation.

Thanks in advance,

What is a two-phase pressure drop?

A two-phase pressure drop occurs when there is a loss in pressure as a fluid mixture consisting of two distinct phases, typically liquid and gas, flows through a pipe or a conduit. This pressure loss is influenced by factors such as flow pattern, fluid properties, pipe geometry, and the interaction between the phases.

How is two-phase pressure drop calculated?

The calculation of two-phase pressure drop is complex due to the interaction between the phases and can vary with the flow pattern. Common methods include empirical correlations and mechanistic models. Empirical methods, like the Lockhart-Martinelli correlation, involve dimensionless parameters that relate single-phase pressure drops to the two-phase scenario. Mechanistic models consider the detailed momentum and energy balances for each phase.

What factors affect two-phase pressure drop?

Several factors can influence two-phase pressure drop, including fluid properties (like viscosity and density), flow geometry (pipe diameter, length, and orientation), surface characteristics, and flow rates of each phase. Additionally, the flow pattern (such as bubbly, slug, or annular flow) plays a critical role in determining how the phases interact and consequently the pressure drop.

Why is understanding two-phase pressure drop important in industry?

Understanding two-phase pressure drop is crucial for the design and operation of various industrial processes, including refrigeration, boiling water reactors, and oil and gas pipelines. Accurate predictions help in optimizing system performance, ensuring safety, and reducing operational costs by preventing issues like pipeline blockage or equipment failure due to improper pressure management.

What are the common challenges in predicting two-phase pressure drop?

Predicting two-phase pressure drop poses challenges due to the complexity of the flow dynamics and the interaction between the phases. The transition between different flow patterns can be abrupt and difficult to predict. Additionally, available models and correlations may not be universally applicable, requiring calibration or modification based on experimental data specific to the conditions and fluids involved.