Question Regarding Armstrong-type Oscillators

• Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillators
In summary, the three topographies of Armstrong-type oscillators are A, B, and C. The Meissner variant is practical for use with a limited number of circuits, B is the most common variant, and C is used in older superheterodyne radios. The advantage to using the grid as the output is that it is more resistant to feedback and space charge.
Fischer777
So a little background: I am trying to construct a superhet radio with an oscillator producing a harmonic-rich output that can be electrically coupled to a mixer, the idea being one of the harmonics can heterodyne with the RF signal. After doing research regarding the construction of Armstrong-type tube oscillators I have found that the majority of designs (or at least those using a tuning capacitor where one side is earthed) follow one of the three topographies shown in the attached picture. I am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages to each design are. My source calls A the Meissner variant and states it's practical purposes are limited, B seems to be the most commonly used variant, and C appears to be used in the mixers of older superheterodyne radios (suggesting maybe it's more resistant to an electrically-coupled load?).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Armstrong-osc.jpg
    Armstrong-osc.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, interesting project!

Is this for AM band or FM band (or some other band)? Receiving or transmitting?

AM receivers generally use(d) pentagrid converters like the 12BE6 (in lieu of separate BFO and mixer). Is there a reason you want separate BFO?

Maybe there is a real old-timer here that has actual design experience with these... (I tinkered with them as a teenager). Look around for some old reference material like ARRL handbooks from the 40s and 50s, I bet you can purchase them on Amazon. I used to have a wonderful old RCA manual, but its long gone now.

Here is one that is available online:

http://www.ax84.com/static/rdh4/chapte24.pdf

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
It's for a broadcast band AM/FM receiver. I'm using a separate BFO as I've read that even at the lower frequency end things like space charge and capacitance between the various grids in pentagrid tubes can destabilize the frequency of the oscillator. I have a few books on tube oscillator construction, but none of them give me much information regarding Armstrong oscillator design. Thanks for the PDF, I'll be sure to check it out!

My first reaction is to favor B because the cathode is grounded. My experience with transistors, not tubes, indicates that impedance in the emitter circuit can cause instabilities which produce spurious radiation. But perhaps that is what you want.

Likes 1 person
Okay, thanks guys. I'll do more research regarding the advantages/disadvantages of an output taken from the plate and from the cathode. One more question though: is there a difference in stability or output when the resonant circuit is attached to the grid as appose to the output?

Probably not a significant difference. I would be concerned about a varying load impedance from the mixer or a signal feeding back from the mixer to the oscillator. Both are probably remote. However, if the tuned circuit is on the grid, it will probably be more sensitive to these effects as the grid circuit has a higher impedance and a lower signal voltage.

How are you planning to connect the local oscillator to the mixer? There are some circuits on this site especially towards the bottom.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/qst/practical-design-of-mixer-converter-circuits-feb-1941-qst.htm

Likes 1 person
I was thinking about coupling the anode of the oscillator to the screen grid of the mixer; I've read that the oscillator would need to be strong to impress a great enough signal voltage across the screen grid to sufficiently vary the amplitude, but other than that it works well. I'm not sure if such a method of coupling would significantly isolate the oscillator from variations in impedance or from signal feedback so once I get the oscillator to work (which is why I asked about the different layouts of the Armstrong; I can't seem to find one that works) I'll experiment around different methods of coupling.

Thanks for the suggestions and the link!

I'm guessing that 108MHz with tubes may be a challenge. It's obviously possible, they were for sale.

Years ago I attempted something like this and had a heck of a time with the frequency shifting significantly as I moved my hand away from variable cap tuning knob, and I was only attempting 10MHz. Then again I didn't really know what I was doing at the time.

Likes 1 person
That Tube Manual link posted by EMIguy is great info, it's where I would start.
Plenty of them on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/rca-receiving-tube-manual-/321172147772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac75a0e3c

Look in thrift stores and yard sales for an old AM/FM tube radio to study or restore. A non-working one will be less expensive.
They are easy to work on - you can see all the parts, and there's plenty of antique radio sites .
http://antiqueradio.org/radweb.htm
http://www.justradios.com/links.html
Or just find some model numbers and look for service manuals. Sams Photofacts have great schematics with expected voltage readings.

FM tube radios were harder to work on because of the higher frequency. First time through I'd make two different tuners.

You are aware that stuff is now all synthesized in IC's ?

http://www.ti.com/solution/digital_radio

Likes 1 person
I'm guessing that 108MHz with tubes may be a challenge. It's obviously possible, they were for sale.

It's a 6KE8 tube, which is designed for use as a television oscillator/mixer. Also, because I'm using the third-order harmonics from the oscillator, I won't need to design one that has to work at such high frequencies. The problem isn't so much I've got the wrong frequency as it is the oscillator just doesn't work. I suspect it may be because the tube itself is quite far removed from where the LC circuit is, so I'm going to try using coaxial cable for the connections to see if that clears anything up.

That Tube Manual link posted by EMIguy is great info, it's where I would start.
Plenty of them on Ebay.

I've got a book on the construction of oscillators (covering both tube and transistor construction methods) and another on the construction of FM transmitters/receivers (which focuses entirely on tubes). I've also been reading the links by EMIguy and Skeptic2.

Look in thrift stores and yard sales for an old AM/FM tube radio to study or restore. A non-working one will be less expensive.

I've repaired 3 old tube radios (one of which was an AM/FM) and a tube television, which is one of the reasons I wanted to build my own; it seemed to be the next step.

FM tube radios were harder to work on because of the higher frequency. First time through I'd make two different tuners.

The intermediate frequency is 20 MHz, so the oscillator needs to generate a frequency from 67-88 MHz, and because it's using third-order harmonics from (what I hope is) a class-c oscillator, the fundamental frequency will at it's highest be 29.3 MHz. This hope is that this arrangement will make construction of the oscillator/mixer go more smoothly.

You are aware that stuff is now all synthesized in IC's ?

Yes, but analog stations are more numerous than digital stations where I am (at least for now).

I've repaired 3 old tube radios (one of which was an AM/FM) and a tube television, which is one of the reasons I wanted to build my own; it seemed to be the next step.

I applaud your enthusiasm and curiosity - Have fun !

My interest never went much beyond fixing them. And some vacuum tube audio - I still have a push-pull 6V6 Ampex outfit... a 1930's Zenith wood table radio(Loctal tubes) and a 1940-ish Airways. I let two old Armstrong consoles get away , they were in his old FM band but the cabinets were nice. Ahh almost forgot one ancient battery set with #30 triodes...

Best wishes !

Likes 1 person
I would recommend that you get a copy of the 4th edition, “Radiotron Designer's Handbook”.
Google to find a PDF format.
It was up-to-date in 1952, just before the advent of the transistor. Over 1400 pages of vacuum tube practice in audio and RF.

Likes 1 person
Thanks both of you guys! It seems like between all the links and PDFs I've got a lot of reading to do. I look forward to seeing if I can get this to work.

What is an Armstrong-type oscillator?

An Armstrong-type oscillator is an electronic circuit that generates high-frequency oscillations using LC resonant circuits. It was first developed by American engineer Edwin Armstrong in the early 1900s and is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications.

How does an Armstrong-type oscillator work?

An Armstrong-type oscillator consists of a tank circuit (LC resonant circuit) and an amplifier. The tank circuit provides the feedback to sustain oscillations, while the amplifier amplifies the signal to compensate for energy losses. The frequency of oscillation is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor in the tank circuit.

What are the advantages of using an Armstrong-type oscillator?

An Armstrong-type oscillator has several advantages, including high frequency stability, low phase noise, and low distortion. It also has a simple design and can be easily tuned to different frequencies by adjusting the values of the inductor and capacitor.

What are some common applications of Armstrong-type oscillators?

Armstrong-type oscillators are commonly used in radio and television transmitters, as well as in wireless communication systems. They are also used in test equipment and electronic instruments that require stable high-frequency signals.

What are some common problems with Armstrong-type oscillators?

One common problem with Armstrong-type oscillators is frequency drift, which can be caused by changes in temperature or component values. Another issue is phase noise, which can affect the quality of the output signal. Additionally, parasitic capacitances and inductances can also affect the performance of the oscillator.