Question Regarding Binary PR Predicates

• I
  • Thread starter SSequence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, Binary PR predicates are logical statements that involve two arguments and a relation between them, used to describe relationships between objects or concepts. They are typically represented as "P(x,y)", where P is the relation, and x and y are the arguments. They differ from other types of predicates in the number of arguments and their common usage in formal logic and computer science. In computer science, they are used for various purposes, such as data object relationships, program rules, and algorithm design. They can also be used in natural language, but may not always accurately capture the intended meaning due to the complexity and ambiguity of natural language.
SSequence
We can think of a notation being assigned to some ordinal o≥ω when there exists some total and onto function g for which:
i) the domain is N
ii) the co-domain is the set of all ordinals less than o

Now consider the following set:
S={(x,y) | g(x) < g(y) }

Let the characteristic function of this set S be denoted by f : N x N→{0,1}.

As an example, here is one example of the function f above for ω:
f(x,y)=1 if x<y
f(x,y)=0 if x≥y

Here is another example of the function f above for ω+1:
(a) when x=0 and y=0
f(0,0)=0
(b) when x=0 and y≠0
f(0,y)=0
(c) when x≠0 and y=0
f(x,0)=1
(d) when x≠0 and y≠0:
f(x,y)=1 if x<y
f(x,y)=0 if x≥yThe question is that what is the smallest possible ordinal (obviously less than ωCK) for which the predicate f can never be primitive recursive.

Edit:
We might have also defined the set S above as:
S={(x,y) | g(x) ≤ g(y) }
I do not know whether this would or wouldn't make a substantial difference to the answer of this question. It would probably be an interesting (or at least instructive) exercise by itself to consider this question.

Obviously if we also place the further restriction on g that it has to be 1-1 then clearly these variations shouldn't matter I think (would have to check this just to be sure but if its true it would be easy to show)

Last edited:
Here is another example of the function f above for ω+1:
(a) when x=0 and y=0
f(0,0)=0
(b) when x=0 and y≠0
f(0,y)=0
(c) when x≠0 and y=0
f(x,0)=1
(d) when x≠0 and y≠0:
f(x,y)=1 if x<y
f(x,y)=0 if x≥y
In this particular case:
g(0)=ω
g(n)=n - 1 when n≠0

Last edited:
I don't like bumping an old thread (with not much substantial to add). However, there seems to be an important factual mistake (not corrected later), which I feel might be important to correct (partly because of search-engine searches and partly because of forum's own function of searching old threads).

The question is that what is the smallest possible ordinal (obviously less than ωCK) for which the predicate f can never be primitive recursive.
This is probably wrong. I am basing this on:
https://mathoverflow.net/questions/82136/ordinals-and-complexity-classes

I don't fully understand the answer though, unfortunately.

Then one can ask whether the question in OP is still reasonable question (on the very least with function g in OP as total,onto,1-1) or not, as long as one is restricted to reasonable notations defined explicitly (in a limited/fixed way) up till a smaller point? What I mean is that suppose we fix some relatively large ordinal p(<wCK) and fix the notion of reasonable notations up till that point. Then we can ask the question for any q < p in the context where we are restricted to a reasonable notations only.
We can then say that q is a cut-off point if there is no binary PR predicate say that can serve as the less-than relation for a "reasonable notation" of q.

Suppose we choose a fairly large specific value of p (specifically say p=εε0). Can we find a cut-off point at some q < p or not? This can be thought of as a concrete problem.

Edited:
Modified the post as I am still unsure about many aspects.

Last edited:

Related to Question Regarding Binary PR Predicates

1. What are Binary PR predicates?

Binary PR predicates are logical statements that involve two elements, known as arguments, and a relation or property between them. They are used in formal logic and computer science to describe the relationships between objects or concepts.

2. How are Binary PR predicates represented?

Binary PR predicates are typically represented in the form of "P(x,y)", where P is the relation or property, and x and y are the arguments. The arguments can be any type of element, such as numbers, objects, or concepts, and the relation can be any type of logical connection, such as "is greater than" or "is a part of".

3. What is the difference between Binary PR predicates and other types of predicates?

Binary PR predicates are a specific type of predicate that involve two arguments and a relation between them. Other types of predicates, such as unary and ternary predicates, involve different numbers of arguments. Additionally, Binary PR predicates are often used in formal logic and computer science, while other types of predicates may be used in other fields, such as linguistics or philosophy.

4. How are Binary PR predicates used in computer science?

In computer science, Binary PR predicates are used for various purposes, such as describing the relationships between data objects, defining rules for computer programs, and designing algorithms for tasks such as searching and sorting. They are also used in database systems for data retrieval and manipulation.

5. Can Binary PR predicates be used in natural language?

Yes, Binary PR predicates can be used in natural language to express relationships between objects or concepts. For example, the sentence "The cat is on the mat" can be represented as the Binary PR predicate "on(cat, mat)". However, natural language is often more complex and ambiguous than formal logic, so Binary PR predicates may not always accurately capture the intended meaning.