Question regarding Earth, Moon and tidal forces

In summary, the tidal forces on Earth would decrease by 1/4 if the distance between the Earth and the Moon doubled.
ezach1

Homework Statement

If the distance between the Earth and the Moon doubled, by what factor would the tidal forces felt on Earth decrease by?

Homework Equations

Not sure if there are any relevant equations
F = GM1M2 / r∧2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]G = 1/d^2, if d is doubled, then G = 1/2^2 = 1/4 The force is 1/4 the original strength.

Im trying guys...

Physics news on Phys.org
so the answer is right? but I was suppose to use the roche limit equation?

ezach1 said:
so the answer is right? but I was suppose to use the roche limit equation?

No, the answer was wrong, because you based it on the wrong formula, but the idea in your attempt is correct.

You will find the correct formula easily if you look for it in the internet (as well as the derivation).

stockzahn said:
No, the answer was wrong, because you based it on the wrong formula, but the idea in your attempt is correct.

You will find the correct formula easily if you look for it in the internet (as well as the derivation).

Am I looking for the roche limit equation? or Newtons law?

Try "derivation of tidal forces" or "tidal force equation"

stockzahn said:
Try "derivation of tidal forces" or "tidal force equation"
Ftidal= 2GMearth md/r^3

That would be the tidal force on the moon caused by the earth. Try to adapt it.

And just to be sure: what do r, d and m mean in your equation?

stockzahn said:
That would be the tidal force on the moon caused by the earth. Try to adapt it.

And just to be sure: what do r, d and m mean in your equation?
r is the radius of the moon, d is the distance, and m is the affected object on the moon??

ezach1 said:
r is the radius of the moon, d is the distance, and m is the affected object on the moon??
swap Earth and moon??

ezach1 said:

With this logic the tidal forces would in increase with increasing distance and decrease with increasing size of the moon. Does that seem to be correct?

stockzahn said:
With this logic the tidal forces would in increase with increasing distance and decrease with increasing size of the moon. Does that seem to be correct?
no...i guess back to the drawing board.
My head is about to explode...

ezach1 said:
swap Earth and moon??

Try to write down the formula for the tidal forces caused by the moon on Earth and use unambiguous symbols with correct indices and/or describe them properly.

stockzahn said:
Try to write down the formula for the tidal forces caused by the moon on Earth and use unambiguous symbols with correct indices and/or describe them properly.
I can't...but thanks for your time and help. It is much appreciated...

ezach1 said:
I can't...but thanks for your time and help. It is much appreciated...Im slowly realizing that I need help with basic math/algebra. Only then will I be able to understand these equations.

1. How do the Earth and Moon interact to create tides?

The gravitational force between the Earth and Moon causes the ocean water to bulge towards the Moon, creating high tides on the side facing the Moon and on the opposite side. This is due to the difference in gravitational pull on the water on either side of the Earth.

2. What other factors besides the Earth and Moon affect tides?

The Sun also plays a role in creating tides, although its effect is about half as strong as the Moon's. The shape and depth of the ocean, as well as the rotation of the Earth, can also impact the tides.

3. Why do tides occur twice a day?

Tides occur twice a day because the Earth rotates on its axis every 24 hours, causing a location to pass through two tidal bulges in a day. This is also why high and low tides occur at different times each day.

4. Do tides have an impact on marine life?

Yes, tides play a crucial role in the life cycles of many marine organisms. Some species use the tides to navigate, while others rely on them for feeding and reproduction. Tidal changes can also influence the distribution of nutrients and oxygen in the ocean.

5. Can tides cause extreme weather events?

Yes, tides can contribute to extreme weather events such as storm surges and flooding. During a new or full moon, when the Earth, Moon, and Sun are aligned, the combined gravitational pull can lead to higher and more powerful tides, increasing the risk of coastal flooding.