Question regarding Light by Light Scattering

In summary, the recent discovery of light by light scattering at the Large Hadron Collider has caused excitement because it confirms a higher order effect in Quantum Electrodynamics that was predicted decades ago. Although photons are not particles or waves, they can scatter off each other due to their quantum field nature. This effect was too weak to be detected by earlier experimental equipment, making the LHC's measurement a significant achievement. However, this is not a new discovery and was expected to be measured at a rate consistent with predictions. The real scientific paper on this topic is open source and was announced by ATLAS in November 2016.
Curious13
I recently read this article from Science Alert regarding Light by Light Scattering (http://www.sciencealert.com/light-continues-to-behave-really-weirdly-in-the-large-hadron-collider). They seemed to be astonished to witness light actually bouncing off each other, as they state that photons pass through each other. I'm rather confused, as I realized that light can behave as a particle or a wave...so excuse me for being puzzled by their excitement, but to act as a 'wave', doesn't the particles have to 'bounce off' each other? I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on why this seems to be new discovery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious13 said:
I recently read this article from Science Alert regarding Light by Light Scattering (http://www.sciencealert.com/light-continues-to-behave-really-weirdly-in-the-large-hadron-collider). They seemed to be astonished to witness light actually bouncing off each other, as they state that photons pass through each other. I'm rather confused, as I realized that light can behave as a particle or a wave...so excuse me for being puzzled by their excitement, but to act as a 'wave', doesn't the particles have to 'bounce off' each other? I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on why this seems to be new discovery?
Strictly speaking, photons are neither particles nor waves, but rather quantum fields. There is a higher order (i.e., very weak) effect in Quantum Electrodynamics wherein photon fields can indeed scatter off each other.

A related effect is Delbruck Scattering, in which a photon is scattered by a static electric (Coulomb) field. This was observed a long time ago, iiuc.

But direct photon-on-photon scattering was too weak for our earlier experimental equipment to detect. So it's cool that the LHC has seen it.

Likes vanhees71 and Curious13
There is nothing to be surprised about. The effect has been predicted decades ago. The LHC is simply the first accelerator where the experiments have a chance to measure it. It was expected to be measured, and it was measured, at a rate consistent with expectations.

It is not news either, ATLAS announced the measurement in November 2016. I made a thread about it back then.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is light by light scattering?

Light by light scattering is a process in which two photons interact and exchange energy, resulting in the creation of a new photon. This phenomenon is predicted by quantum electrodynamics and has been observed in high-energy experiments.

2. How does light by light scattering occur?

Light by light scattering occurs when two photons collide and interact in an electromagnetic field. One photon absorbs energy from the field, while the other emits energy, resulting in the creation of a new photon with the combined energy of the two original photons.

3. What is the significance of light by light scattering in physics?

Light by light scattering provides evidence for the existence of virtual particles, which are particles that are predicted by quantum field theory but cannot be directly observed. This process also plays a role in understanding the properties of the vacuum and the nature of the electromagnetic force.

4. Can light by light scattering be observed in everyday life?

No, light by light scattering can only be observed in high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at particle accelerators. In everyday life, the energy of photons is not high enough to produce this effect.

5. How is light by light scattering related to other scattering processes?

Light by light scattering is similar to other scattering processes, such as electron-positron annihilation and Compton scattering, in which particles interact and exchange energy. However, light by light scattering is unique in that it involves photons, which are elementary particles that do not have mass.