Question regarding supernovae shock breakout

In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of which type of stars exhibit the strongest shock breakout in supernovae and why. The individual studying for a masters in Astrophysics proposed that Red Super-giants would have the strongest shock breakout due to their mass, temperature, and radius. However, they were unsure about the exact reasoning behind this. The conversation also touched upon the role of mass and metallicity in this phenomenon, referencing a table from Wikipedia.
Physics Dad
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi,

I am currently studying for a masters in Astrophysics and am in my Stellar Atmospheres module.

One of the questions I have been asked is with regards to the shock breakout of supernovae.

Basically, the question is which type of stars show the strongest shock breakout and why?

My thinking on this is that it is Red Super-giants as effectively the kinetic energy is a function of stellar mass the thermal energy is a function of temperature and stellar radius.

I have seen some papers showing energy levels in the range of 20 x 1051 erg, peak temperature around 5 x 105 K and peak luminosity around 200 x 1044 erg/s for a 25MΘ RSG, and these values seem to drop off either side of this mass.

The simple fact though is that I don't full understand why.

Could anyone help shed some light on this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Dad said:
Basically, the question is which type of stars show the strongest shock breakout and why?
Isn't it a question of mass and metalicity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova has a table: Core collapse scenarios by mass and metallicity

1. What is a supernova shock breakout?

A supernova shock breakout is a sudden and intense burst of radiation and energy that occurs when a massive star explodes in a supernova. This phenomenon happens when the shock wave from the explosion reaches the surface of the star and releases a tremendous amount of energy.

2. How does a supernova shock breakout happen?

A supernova shock breakout occurs when the core of a massive star can no longer sustain its own weight and collapses, causing a massive explosion. This explosion releases a shock wave that travels through the star and eventually reaches its surface, causing the shock breakout.

3. Can we observe a supernova shock breakout?

Yes, we can observe a supernova shock breakout using telescopes that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. The initial burst of radiation from the shock breakout is mostly in the ultraviolet and X-ray wavelengths, but as the shock wave expands and cools, it emits light in the visible spectrum that we can observe.

4. How often do supernova shock breakouts occur?

Supernova shock breakouts are relatively rare events, with only a few observed in the Milky Way galaxy every century. However, they are more common in other galaxies, with an estimated rate of about one every 50 years per galaxy.

5. What can we learn from studying supernova shock breakouts?

Studying supernova shock breakouts can provide us with valuable information about the structure and evolution of massive stars. By analyzing the initial burst of radiation and the subsequent light curve, we can also learn about the physical processes involved in supernova explosions and the properties of the surrounding environment.