Question regarding water pressure and slopes

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of shape and surrounding environment on water pressure PSI readings. After further clarification, it is concluded that both sensors would read the same value of pressure, but the flow rate through an orifice can vary depending on its shape. The concept of Pascal's law is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the scenario.
Jstoff
TL;DR Summary
Questioning regarding water pressure PSI and slopes.
I have a question about water pressure PSI regarding the presents/lack of slopes.

If two identical pressure sensors are set up on the ocean floor at the same depth. One being surrounded by a cone of ramps increasing in height moving outwards away from it. The second sitting on a flat plain with no increase or decrease of the surrounding ocean floor. (I've attached an illustration for explain.) In this situation would the sensors read the same or different PSI? If different which one would be higher?

Sorry if this isn't the correct area to post in. Wasn't sure what this fit under honestly. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Waterpressure.jpg
    Waterpressure.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 102
Engineering news on Phys.org
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
Both sensors will read the same value of pressure.

Please, see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-depend-on-the-shape-of-the-container.978355/
I appreciate the quick reply! Thanks for the link I believe it really cleared things up for me. It also made me relies that i forgot an important part of my question. To be honestly I'm not sure what measurement would be most appropriate for the answer of this question. I believe its head pressure but I'm not sure if I'm using it in the right context.

What if sensors 1 and 2 were replaced with twos holes of the exact same dimensions. On the other side of the hole there's a large empty container. Would the force of water coming out the other side be the same? I'm assuming they would if the static water's PSI was the same. Just i just wanted to make sure.

Likes 256bits
You understand that the static pressure (with nothing moving) is always the same.
The flow rate through an orifice depends upon more things than just the pressure. Our ability to describe such situations simply is very limited although it has been the subject of intense scrutiny for as long as there has been science. Now we have powerful computing machines and it is still difficult. In previous decades and centuries various specific and extraordinarilly clever approximations in fluid dynamics have been developed.
In general a more "streamlined" (a term from said fluid dynamics) orifice will produce more flow.

Likes 256bits
Jstoff said:
... What if sensors 1 and 2 were replaced with twos holes of the exact same dimensions. On the other side of the hole there's a large empty container. Would the force of water coming out the other side be the same? I'm assuming they would if the static water's PSI was the same. Just i just wanted to make sure.
I can’t visualize what you describe, but Pascal’s law could be applied to that case:

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatics

Jstoff said:
Would the force of water coming out the other side be the same?
It's not a force that come out, but it is quantified as flow rate, either volumetric or mass(emetric), momentum, velocity. The force comes about only when the stream contacts another surface and should not be confused with the above.

Likes Lnewqban and hutchphd

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on the walls of its container or any object in its path. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

2. How does the slope of the ground affect water pressure?

The slope of the ground can affect water pressure in two ways. First, it can impact the flow rate of the water. A steeper slope will cause water to flow faster, increasing the pressure. Second, it can affect the direction of water flow. Water will always flow perpendicular to the slope, so a steeper slope will result in a more direct and forceful flow of water.

3. Can water pressure change on its own?

Yes, water pressure can change on its own due to a variety of factors. These include changes in the height or volume of the water source, changes in the temperature or density of the water, and changes in the surrounding atmospheric pressure. Human activities, such as pumping water or opening/closing valves, can also affect water pressure.

4. How does water pressure affect plumbing systems?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in plumbing systems. Too much pressure can cause pipes to burst or joints to leak, while too little pressure can result in slow or weak water flow. Plumbing systems are designed to maintain a specific water pressure range to ensure proper functioning and prevent damage to pipes and fixtures.

5. Is there a way to measure water pressure?

Yes, there are various tools and devices available to measure water pressure. The most common is a pressure gauge, which can be attached to a faucet or hose bib to measure the pressure at that specific point. Water pressure can also be measured using specialized equipment, such as a pitot tube or manometer, which are often used in scientific research or engineering projects.