Question related to power transmission

In summary, the power station is giving an output of 100kW at 20000V and the cables have a resistance of 5 ohms. The current flowing through the cables is 4000 A.
DarkStalker
First of all I'd like to say hello. Secondly, my Physics is not very exceptional, so please don't mock me if I ask sth very dumb. :)

Homework Statement

A power station giving an output power of 100kW at 20000V is connected by cables to a factory.
If the resistance of the cables is 5.0 Ω, calculate:
(a) the current flowing in the cables,

Homework Equations

P=VI

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this using "V=IR". Here's my attempt.

V=IR
20000 = I x 5
I = 20000/5 = 4000 A.

The actual solution given is:

Since P (Output) = IV where I is the current in the cables

I=P/V
= 100kW/20000
=...= 5A

I just need to know why we can't use "V=IR". My guess is it has to sth about a.c. or d.c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DarkStalker,

A more precise statement of Ohm's law would be:

[tex]
\Delta V = I R
[/tex]

so if you want to know the current flowing from one point to another, you need the resistance between those points and the voltage difference between those points. Can you see why the 5 ohms and the 20000 V don't go together in Ohm's law in this problem?

So what you're trying to say is that since we don't the potential difference between any two points on the wire, Ohm's law cannot be applied, right?
And if we knew the p.d., it would've been something like very lower than 20000?

DarkStalker said:
So what you're trying to say is that since we don't the potential difference between any two points on the wire, Ohm's law cannot be applied, right?
And if we knew the p.d., it would've been something like very lower than 20000?

Exactly right; the 20000 V potential difference is across the cable and the factory. So, if for example, they gave you the "effective resistance" of the factory, you could combine it in series with the 5 ohms from the cable and then follow your procedure.

The solution from the book works, because it uses the total power (of cable and factory) and the total potential difference (across cable and factory).

Now that you know the current, you could actually use your approach to find what the potential difference across the cable is.

Because the voltage is varying with the current throughout the /entire/ cable (because you have a 5 ohm resistance all the way to the factory), you cannot use ohm's law.

edit: a bit too late!

Thanks a lot, all of you. :)
BryanP said:
edit: a bit too late!
Not really. I'm so bad at physics that any different way of explaining helps.

Related to Question related to power transmission

1. How does power transmission work?

Power transmission is the process of transferring energy from one source to another, usually from a power plant to homes or businesses. This is typically done through power lines, which use electromagnetic induction to transfer the energy from the power plant to the consumer.

2. What are the different types of power transmission?

The different types of power transmission include overhead lines, underground cables, and wireless transmission. Overhead lines are the most commonly used and consist of wires suspended on poles or towers. Underground cables are buried underground and are used in urban areas. Wireless transmission uses radio waves to transfer the energy.

3. What are the main components of a power transmission system?

The main components of a power transmission system include generators, transformers, transmission lines, and distribution lines. Generators convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, transformers step up or step down the voltage of the energy, transmission lines carry the energy over long distances, and distribution lines carry the energy to homes and businesses.

4. What are the environmental impacts of power transmission?

Power transmission can have both positive and negative environmental impacts. The construction of power lines can disrupt natural habitats and migration patterns of animals. However, power transmission also allows for the use of cleaner energy sources, such as wind and solar power, which can help reduce air pollution and carbon emissions.

5. How is power transmission regulated?

Power transmission is regulated by government agencies, such as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in the United States. These agencies set regulations and standards for the safe and reliable transmission of power. They also oversee the pricing and rates for energy transmission to ensure fair and competitive markets.