Questions about charged objects in isolation

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an object, charged and suspended from an insulating thread, will eventually lose its charge. It is believed that in the real world, the object will lose its charge due to interactions with the atmosphere and the fact that there are no perfect insulators. It is also noted that in a less real sense, the object should be assumed to be neutral if it is described as hanging from an insulating thread.
teetar
Not sure if the title accurately conveys my questions, but my question is, in such a situation that an object is charged and in hanging from an insulating thread, will it eventually lose its charge? This seems extremely simplistic, and my instinct is to say of course, but for whatever reason this doesn't seem right to me. Would the charge (positive or negative) not eventually be neutral due to interactions with the atmosphere around it? Would the answer to this differ based on the type of atmosphere the object is suspended it? I can't imagine that it wouldn't eventually reach neutrality unless it were in a vacuum, and there was nothing to exchange charge with, but something about that thought also seems wrong. Is it possible that there wouldn't be enough charged particles in the atmosphere around the sphere for it to reach neutrality? In a less real sense, when prompted with the "object hanging by an insulating thread" question, should I assume it means the object is neutral?

Thanks for any guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the real world the object would indeed eventually lose its charge. There are no perfect insulators.

teetar said:
In a less real sense, when prompted with the "object hanging by an insulating thread" question, should I assume it means the object is neutral?

It should say that the object is neutral if it's neutral. If not, well, just do the best you can.

Drakkith said:
In the real world the object would indeed eventually lose its charge. There are no perfect insulators.
It should say that the object is neutral if it's neutral. If not, well, just do the best you can.

Alright, thanks!

1. What is an isolated charged object?

An isolated charged object is an object that has a net electric charge and is not influenced by any other external electric fields or charges. This means that the object is not in contact with any other charged objects or conductors.

2. How does an isolated charged object behave?

An isolated charged object will exhibit an electric field around itself, which is responsible for the interaction between the charged object and any other charged particles in its vicinity. The strength and direction of the electric field depend on the magnitude and sign of the charge on the object.

3. Can an isolated charged object have a net charge of zero?

Yes, an isolated charged object can have a net charge of zero if it contains both positive and negative charges in equal amounts. This is known as a neutral object.

4. How does the distance between two isolated charged objects affect their interaction?

The force between two isolated charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force of interaction decreases.

5. What is the difference between an isolated charged object and a conductor?

An isolated charged object is a material or object that is not in contact with any other charged objects, while a conductor is a material that allows charges to move freely within it. This means that an isolated charged object can maintain its charge without losing it, while a conductor will distribute its charge evenly throughout its surface.