Questions about derivation of GR and applications of it

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Einstein field equations, their assumptions, and possible applications, as well as their usage in cosmology, the big bang theory, and astrophysics. The conversation also touches on the meaning of four dimensions in the material world and the steps used in the derivation. It is suggested to read a textbook presentation for a better understanding, and to ask focused questions about specific points.
trees and plants
Hello friends. I have this question about how the Einstein field equations were derived, the assumptions behind them and the possible applications of them. What could their solutions be?Also, how are they used in cosmology and in the big bang theory?What about astrophysics? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically you're asking us to write a whole textbook here...

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
I have read some things about the derivation at least.I think Einstein said that he started with Rij=0 and then proceeded to put to the equations the stress energy momentum tensor and the other tensors.I do not know the steps he did to prove it.I want to know the steps he did,not necessarily to prove it wrong,but to learn from it.As well, what do four dimensions mean about the material world and what do they not mean?It is just that some phenomena are better expressed through four dimensions?Thank you.

I'd suggest Sean Carroll's GR lecture notes - chapter 4 derives the field equations, if memory serves, and they're free to download. Also you don't need to do weight training to lift them like you do with Misner, Thorne and Wheeler.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
So Einstein started from the gravitational law and the gravitational potential expressed in differential form and moved to the steps , I find a little difficulty knowing if the steps are correct in the proof,but ok.About the other question I made concerning the four dimensions?How is it possible and what does it mean about the material world?

universe function said:
So Einstein started from the gravitational law and the gravitational potential expressed in differential form and moved to the steps
There's an informal proof in Carroll based on guessing a tensorial generalisation of Poisson's equation, but the formal proof starts with the Hilbert action.
universe function said:
About the other question I made concerning the four dimensions?How is it possible
How is it possible? Why shouldn't it be?
universe function said:
what does it mean about the material world?
Everything is four dimensional in this model.

I have also heard about the Hilbert action expressed as an integral.So, it means that for some physical phenomena someone's eyes are flawed to describe them?Is what I am saying correct?

universe function said:
I have this question about how the Einstein field equations were derived, the assumptions behind them and the possible applications of them. What could their solutions be?Also, how are they used in cosmology and in the big bang theory?What about astrophysics? Thank you very much.

universe function said:
I want to know the steps he did,not necessarily to prove it wrong,but to learn from it.As well, what do four dimensions mean about the material world and what do they not mean?It is just that some phenomena are better expressed through four dimensions?

All this is way, way too broad for a single PF thread. As others have said, you need to take some time to read a textbook presentation (the references you have been given are good ones). Then you can start a new thread to ask a more focused question about some particular point that you do not understand.

This thread is closed.

Likes Grinkle

1. What is the derivation of General Relativity (GR)?

The derivation of GR is a mathematical process that starts with the assumption that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their motion. From this, Einstein developed the theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space and time.

2. How does GR differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

GR differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the curvature of space and time, whereas Newton's theory assumes that gravity is a force acting between masses. GR also predicts that the path of an object in space is affected by the presence of massive objects, while Newton's theory states that objects move in straight lines unless acted upon by a force.

3. What are some practical applications of GR?

GR has numerous practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise timing of signals from satellites in orbit. GR also helps us understand the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe. It has also been used to make predictions about the bending of light around massive objects, which has been confirmed through observations.

4. Can GR be tested or proven?

Yes, GR has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, has been observed and is consistent with the predictions of GR. Additionally, the precise predictions of GR have been confirmed through the measurements of the precession of Mercury's orbit around the sun.

5. Are there any limitations to GR?

While GR is a highly successful theory, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it does not provide a complete understanding of the universe, as it does not take into account the behavior of subatomic particles and the effects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it does not explain the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a large portion of the universe's mass and energy.