Questions about Helicity & Chirality: Answers Explained

In summary, helicity can have eigenvalues of 1 or -1, but if a particle has a proper superposition of the two helicity eigenvectors, its helicity becomes undetermined. The probability of finding a particle with helicity 1 or -1 depends on the coefficients of the superposition. As for chirality, an electron is a superposition of left and right chirality electrons, and when it interacts with a W boson, it picks a chirality and something happens based on that chirality. It is not guaranteed that an electron will have a specific chirality after a weak interaction. To determine the chirality of an electron, it would need to be measured.
Silviu
Hello! I have some questions about helicity and chirality: So I understand how is helicity defined and that it has eigenvalues of 1 or -1. But can a particle (massless) have mixed helicity? Like the spin not to be along the direction of motion? (I assume it can but I want to make sure, because in all the articles I read they talk only about 1 and -1 values for it). I understand (I hope) the meaning of chirality but I am not really sure how does it affects the weak interaction. From what I understand, an electron is a superposition of left and right chirality electrons and when you measure the chirality, you pick one of them. So when an electron interacts with a W boson (let's say) does it pick a chirality and something happens only if the left chirality is chosen? Or if an electron gets out of a weak interaction, you are sure it is left handed? And in general, if you have an electron in lab, how can you find out it's chirality? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, if you have a proper superposition of the two helicity eigenvectors the helicity becomes undetermined,
$$|\psi \rangle=c_1 |h=1 \rangle + c_2 |h=-1 \rangle.$$
If we normalize it such that ##|c_1|^2+|c_2|^2=1## the probability to find a particle with helicity ##1## when measuring helicity, is ##|c_1|^2## and to find it with helicity ##-1## is ##|c_2|^2##. If not either ##c_1## or ##c_2## are 0, the particle's helicity is indetermined.

1. What is helicity?

Helicity refers to the measure of the spin direction of a particle or object in relation to its direction of motion. It is a vector quantity that determines whether an object is spinning in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

2. What is chirality?

Chirality is a property of a molecule or object that describes its lack of symmetry. A chiral object is not identical to its mirror image and cannot be superimposed on it. This property is important in fields such as chemistry and biology.

3. What is the difference between helicity and chirality?

Helicity and chirality are related concepts, but they refer to different aspects of an object. Helicity is a measure of spin direction, while chirality describes the lack of symmetry in an object. In simpler terms, helicity is a property of an object's motion, while chirality is a property of its shape or structure.

4. What is an example of a chiral object?

A common example of a chiral object is a human hand. Each hand is a mirror image of the other, but they cannot be superimposed on each other. Other examples include molecules such as amino acids and sugars, as well as certain types of crystals and magnets.

5. How does chirality affect the properties of a molecule?

Chirality can greatly impact the properties of a molecule, especially in the fields of chemistry and biology. Chiral molecules have different chemical and biological properties depending on their orientation, leading to different reactions and effects in the body. For example, the two enantiomers of thalidomide have drastically different effects, with one being a sedative and the other causing birth defects.