Questions about how an inductor works

In summary: The magnetic field is proportional to the current.The energy stored in the magnetic field will be E = ½ ⋅ L ⋅ I2The current will be limited by the series resistance in the circuit.
great thanks sir for your support but pls don't take me wrong till now we understood the inductor mathematically only. From start of this thread I wished to understand the inductor in terms of basic physics laws i.e., how magnetic field builds, how force on charge carriers comes to get into motion to make current.

My question was when a DC supply V (ideal) is suddenly connected to a series RL circuit then L has an electric field (Fe = -eE) how magnetic flux changed?, without current flow at start ---- then how induced emf = V comes(Fe = -eE) ? then further how the supply V overcomes this induced emf V (Fe = -eE)

I know mathematically ALL IS WELL but I want to know the PHYSICS of INDUCTOR

pls guide me

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hyperphysics does a pretty good job.

Laws of Ampere Faraday and Lenz are your starting point
they describe observed interactions of flux current and voltage.

You'll want to start at this site
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/indcon.html#c1
and follow these lessons.
upload_2018-9-4_9-31-15.png

That should get you started

it all goes back to force F on a charge Q moving relative to a magnetic field B equals QV cross* B
*cross being 'vector cross product'

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-4_9-31-15.png
    upload_2018-9-4_9-31-15.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 333
Likes dlgoff
AASHISH SRIVASTAVA said:
how magnetic flux changed?, without current flow at start

Flux and current are in proportion. Both start from zero.

Just as when you apply force to an object at rest -
it immediately acquires acceleration (F=MA ),
its velocity starts from zero and increases
and its position changes at ever increasing rate.

You still refuse to believe in Mother Nature's derivative-integrals.

A charge in the wire experiences a force F along the wire due to the electric field E, F= qE.
So it accelerates down the wire.
As soon as the charge starts to move a magnetic field appears and begins to expand due to that charge's motion. That's Ampere's Law.
Relative motion between that expanding field and the moving charge produces a counter force on the charge F=qVelocitycrossB that opposes its acceleration
and that's where counter-emf comes from.

An inductor is usually a solenoid of some sort.
upload_2018-9-4_10-52-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-4_10-52-31.png
    upload_2018-9-4_10-52-31.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
AASHISH SRIVASTAVA said:
My question was when a DC supply V (ideal) is suddenly connected to a series RL circuit then L has an electric field (Fe = -eE) how magnetic flux changed, without current flow at start

Jim has given you some good reading material on the physics but I wanted to correct you on the above.

Consider a Voltage V applied directly to an inductor (no R in the circuit).

Take a look at the graph below. The top graph shows a voltage V applied "suddenly". The voltage increases from zero to V over time t1 where t1 is very short. Because it's short I have enlarged the horizontal scale so you can see what is happening.

The lower graph shows how the current changes over time t1 and after. No matter how short t1 the current will still increase as the voltage ramps up. So the current is small but not zero when voltage V has finished being applied. In addition it's already increasing as fast as it ever will.

After t1 the current continues to increase, linearly now because V is a constant.

Inductor IV.jpg
In a circuit with a series resistor R there is a corresponding voltage drop across the resistor due to the current flowing through it. At all times the inductor voltage is lower that the applied voltage.

Attachments

• Inductor IV.jpg
    Inductor IV.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 395