Questions about linear transformations

In summary, the condition for a linear transformation includes that T(v+w) = T(v)+T(w) and T(kv) = kT(v). It is possible to have a transformation that fulfills one condition but fails the other. An example of this is the operator T:R→R, where T is the identity on the rationals and maps to zero on the irrationals. This satisfies the second axiom but not the first. Another example is the complex conjugation function, which satisfies the first axiom but not the second.
Mayan Fung
We learned that the condition of a linear transformation is
1. T(v+w) = T(v)+T(w)
2. T(kv) = kT(v)

I am wondering if there is any transformation which only fulfil either one and fails another condition. As obviously, 1 implies 2 for rational number k.

Could anyone give an example of each case? (Fulfilling 1 but 2 and 2 but 1)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the real numbers ##\mathbb R## as a vector space over the rationals, and the operator ##T:\mathbb R\to \mathbb R## that is the identity on the rationals and maps to zero on the irrationals. Then T satisfies the second axiom, since it is a linear operator on ##\mathbb Q## considered as a subspace of ##\mathbb R## and, for ##q\in\mathbb Q-\{0\},x\in\mathbb R##, ##qx## is in ##\mathbb Q\cup\{0\}=\ker\ T## iff ##x## is.

But the addition axiom does not hold, because ##T(1+(\sqrt2-1))=T(\sqrt 2)=0## but ##T(1)+T(\sqrt2-1)=1\neq 0##.

Define ##M((x,y))## by
if ##x \ne y ## then ##M((x,y)) = (x,y)##
if ##x = y ## then ##M((x,y)) = (2x, 2y)##
##M## satisfies 2, but not 1

This really gives me new insight into linear transformation. thanks all!

mathman said:
If you don't have continuity, it is possible, using a Hamel basis to get (2) for rational k only..

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HamelBasis.html

I am sorry but I don't quite understand. How can we construct a transformation like that?

Chan Pok Fung said:
I am sorry but I don't quite understand. How can we construct a transformation like that?
Unfortunately Hamel basis exists, but it is not constructable - existence is equivalent to axiom of choice.

I'm still trying to think of a scenario with a map that satisfies 1 (additivity) but not 2 (scalar mult). Can anybody think of one?

All the examples I come up with either end up satisfying neither 1 nor 2, or satisfying 2 but not 1.

I assume there must be one, otherwise some texts would specify 1 as the sole requirement and derive 2 as a consequence of 1.

Andrew, I am thinking that as we have to apply the transformation to a vector space, and vectors in vector space obeys kv is also in the space. As we can have k be any real number, it seems that it somehow implies axiom2. The transformation only satisfy axiom1 must be of a very weird form.

On the "talk" page for the current Wikipedia article on "Linear transformation", I found:

The complex numbers is a vector space over itself, so take f:C->C to be complex conjugation. Then f(a+b)=f(a)+f(b), but -1 = f(i*i) != i*f(i) = 1. JackSchmidt (talk) 16:47, 7 March 2008 (UTC)

Likes Mayan Fung and andrewkirk
That's a clear and direct example!

Related to Questions about linear transformations

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another in a way that preserves the basic structure of the vector space, such as the angle between vectors and their relative lengths.

What are the properties of a linear transformation?

There are three main properties of a linear transformation: (1) preservation of addition, (2) preservation of scalar multiplication, and (3) preservation of the zero vector. This means that the transformation must preserve the sum of two vectors, the product of a vector and a scalar, and the zero vector.

How can linear transformations be represented?

Linear transformations can be represented using matrices. Each transformation can be represented by a unique matrix, and the matrix operations of addition and multiplication correspond to the composition and combination, respectively, of linear transformations.

What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the basic structure of a vector space, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation maps straight lines to straight lines, while a non-linear transformation can map a straight line to a curve.

What are some applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, perform image transformations in computer graphics, and analyze data in machine learning. They also have applications in economics, engineering, and statistics.