Questions about magnetic energy, why dont we have it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpetual motion machines and whether or not they are possible. The individual asking the questions is in high school and is unsure about the background information needed to fully understand the concept. They ask about the possibility of permanent magnets and whether or not moving through a coil to produce electricity affects the magnet's strength over time. The response states that perpetual motion is not possible according to fundamental principles of science, and provides additional resources for more information.
Denken
Ok, so I've been thinking about this for a while now, but seeing as I am still in high school i really do not have much of a background to help me out with this. My dad asked me a while ago if we had ever discussed perpetual motion machines, and of course that got me thinking on how one could possible work. So, first i have some basic questions that will either end the theory where it is or inspire it to go farther.
Magnets, i know you can create them but is there such a thing as a permanent magnet, do they decay, or stay constant?

Does moving through a coil to produce electricity reduce the strength or force of a magnet over time?

and finally is there something along the lines of magnetic friction, or maybe friction between magnetic fields?

thank you to anyone who can answer these questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

1. No, magnets don't necessarily "wear out". In other words, the electrical energy generated by them is not at the expense of degrading the magnetism.
2. Yes, when you generate energy using magnets, the magnets push back, so you have to input as much energy (or even a lot more) than you get out.

The reason perpetual motion in general is not discussed in science class is that it is an explicit violation of some of the most fundamental principles of science and it therefore doesn't work/exist.

Here's a couple of links for more information, but beyond that, since this is a site for discussing science, not a site for discussing things that sound like science but aren't, thread locked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

1. What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is a type of energy that results from the interaction of electric currents and magnetic fields. It is present in all magnetic materials and can be harnessed for various purposes.

2. Why don't we have magnetic energy?

We do have magnetic energy, as it is present in all magnetic materials. However, it is not as widely used or easily harnessed as other forms of energy such as electricity or heat.

3. How is magnetic energy different from other forms of energy?

Magnetic energy is unique in that it is a result of the interaction between electric currents and magnetic fields. It is also a form of potential energy, meaning it has the potential to do work.

4. Can we use magnetic energy as a renewable energy source?

Yes, we can use magnetic energy as a renewable energy source. This is done through the use of generators, which convert the energy from the movement of magnets into electricity.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with magnetic energy?

Like any form of energy, magnetic energy can be dangerous if not properly controlled or harnessed. Strong magnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices and can also be harmful to living organisms. However, with proper precautions, magnetic energy can be used safely and effectively.