Questions from chapter 2 of Zwiebach's A First Course In String Theory

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of constructing a consistent theory with more than one time dimension due to the concept of causality. The analogy with Kruskal coordinates and faster-than-light travel was deemed inappropriate for understanding this limitation. The solutions for the Schrodinger equation and the concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors were also discussed, with recommendations for further study in quantum mechanics, differential equations, and linear algebra. Unfortunately, there are no publicly available solutions for the problems in Zwiebach's book.
sciencegem
Hi,

I have a couple questions from chapter 2 of Zwiebach's A First Course In String Theory, second ed.

1) Zwiebach says [in the context of compact extra dimensions] "it seems very difficult, if not altogether impossible, to construct a consistent theory with more than one time dimension". Why is that? The best explanation my simple brain on Kruskal coordinates came up with is going faster than the speed of light is analogous to utilizing an extra time dimension to some extent, and (in the unlikely scenario I'm correct) if the converse were also true, then an extra time dimension would equate surpassing the speed of light. That being said, I can imagine constructing perfectly obedient metrics with extra negative signatures as easily as I can do so with positive signatures (is my terminology there correct?).

2) Zwiebach writes Schrodinger's equation as

E = -(\hbar2/2m)(1/ψ(x))(d2ψ(x)/dx2) -(\hbar2/2m)(1/ø(y))(d2ø(y)/dy2)

and derives

ψk(x) = cksin(k*π/a)

øl(y) = alsin(l*y/R) + blcos(l*y/R)

as solutions, and

Ek,l = (\hbar2/2m)[(k*π/a)2 + (l/R)2]

as the energy eigenvalues.

How did he derive those? The trig functions kinda came out of nowhere for me, and I'm unfamiliar with the concept of taking eigenvalues from (what appears to my untrained eye to be) a regular equation (i.e. not a matrix). Sorry for my stupidity here, I gather I probably don't have the appropriate prerequisites for the book, so if anyone has any resource suggestions to help me gain the appropriate background I would be grateful for the advice. Any hints on how I might resolve my questions are appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where I can access the solutions to the problems for the text that would be just awesome. I imagine it will be very difficult trying to glean adequate intuition from this book if all my answers are wrong but in my ignorance I assume they are correct.

Thanks to anyone who read all that, like I said hints appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your questions regarding Zwiebach's A First Course In String Theory. I am happy to provide some insight and clarification on these topics.

1) The reason why it is difficult, if not impossible, to construct a consistent theory with more than one time dimension is due to the concept of causality. In physics, causality means that the cause of an event must always precede its effect. This is a fundamental principle that is observed in all physical phenomena. In a theory with more than one time dimension, it becomes impossible to define a clear notion of causality. This leads to inconsistencies and contradictions within the theory. Additionally, the mathematical framework for such a theory becomes very complicated and difficult to work with. Therefore, most physicists do not consider theories with more than one time dimension to be viable.

Your analogy with Kruskal coordinates is interesting, but it is important to note that these coordinates are purely mathematical tools used to simplify the description of black holes in general relativity. They do not necessarily have a physical interpretation. Furthermore, the concept of faster-than-light travel is not well-defined in string theory, so it is not appropriate to use it as a basis for understanding the limitations of multiple time dimensions.

2) The solutions for the Schrodinger equation that Zwiebach presents are derived using a combination of mathematical techniques and physical principles. The trigonometric functions are a result of solving the differential equations that arise from the Schrodinger equation. The concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, and it is used to describe the energy states of a system. In this case, the energy eigenvalues are obtained by solving the differential equations for the wave functions.

To better understand these concepts, I would recommend studying some introductory texts on quantum mechanics and differential equations. Some good resources are "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima. Additionally, it may be helpful to review some linear algebra, as the concept of eigenvalues is closely related to the diagonalization of matrices.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any publicly available solutions for the problems in Zwiebach's book. However, I would recommend working through the problems to gain a better understanding of the material.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries.

[

1. What is string theory and why is it important?

String theory is a theoretical framework that aims to describe all fundamental forces and particles in the universe by treating them as tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles. It is important because it has the potential to unify all of physics and provide a deeper understanding of the universe.

2. How does string theory differ from other theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity?

String theory differs from other theories in that it attempts to reconcile the seemingly incompatible theories of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale, and general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity on a large scale. It also introduces the concept of extra dimensions beyond the four we are familiar with.

3. What is the significance of the vibrational modes of strings in string theory?

The vibrational modes of strings are important because they determine the properties of the particles that make up the universe. Different modes of vibration correspond to different types of particles, such as photons and quarks.

4. What is the string length scale and why is it significant?

The string length scale is the smallest possible distance that can be probed in string theory. It is significant because it sets a limit on how small we can observe the universe and also determines the energy scale at which quantum gravity effects become important.

5. How does string theory explain the concept of space-time?

String theory describes space-time as a 10-dimensional fabric that is made up of tiny strings. The vibrations of these strings create the familiar 4 dimensions of space and time that we experience, while the remaining 6 dimensions are compactified and not directly observable. This helps to explain the properties of space-time and how it behaves at different scales.