What Does It Cost to Use Electrical Appliances in Different Scenarios?

• Thread starter wanted1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: What are we supposed to do with this?I'm not sure if I'm "supposed" to do anything with this, other than provide a summary of the content, as per the instructions. But if I were to provide a summary of this conversation, it would be:"In summary, we discussed the cost of using a 2000 watt room heater for 8 hours a day for one month, the nature of graphs for a standard resistor and a lamp, and the cost of leaving a porch light on for two weeks and using a toaster and dryer for a short period of time. We also fixed some calculation errors and clarified the question about the graphs."
wanted1
1 - How much dose it cost in one month to burn a 2000 w room heater for 8h per day if electrical cost 10 Baiza per kwh ?

p = 2000
= 2000/1000 = 2.0 kw

E = pt
= (2.0) ( 8)
= 48.0

cost = 48.0 X 10 = 480.0

2 - Descibe the nature of the graphs for the satandaed resistor and the lamp ?
standard resistor is designed to be as ohmic as possible, meaning it will have a nearly perfectly linear current-voltage relationship over a large range of applied voltage. The slope of the I versus V curve in the linear region yields a value for R.

3 -The cost of electrical energy is 10 Bz/kwh. Calculate the cost of
a) leaving a 100-W porch light on for two weeks while you are on vacation
b) making a piece of dark toast in 3.0 min with a 750-W toaster , and in drying a load of clothes in 5 min with a 4500-W dayer

a = 336
b = 3/8
c = 15/4

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is fine, but you've made some calculation errors:

1. That the cost for one day, not for one month.

3.a)Correct

3.b)Also Correct.

3c)Correct, too.

Sorry, I did forget to multiply by 10B/kWh!

Last edited:
I agree with G01 on the first error. The second, however, I'm not so sure about his evaluation of number 3 part B. I received the same answer as you after doing the math multiple times. G01, are you sure that you multiplied by the 10 kwh? Not sure if that's it, but there's something off. Same for part C. Again, not positive, but fairly certain.

a do agine I get

a = 336
b = 3/8
c = 15/4

why??

what about Q 2
2 - Descibe the nature of the graphs for the satandaed resistor and the lamp ?
standard resistor is designed to be as ohmic as possible, meaning it will have a nearly perfectly linear current-voltage relationship over a large range of applied voltage. The slope of the I versus V curve in the linear region yields a value for R.

is correct ?

Q1

for one month. we do
160 X 30 = 4800

Lame One said:
I agree with G01 on the first error. The second, however, I'm not so sure about his evaluation of number 3 part B. I received the same answer as you after doing the math multiple times. G01, are you sure that you multiplied by the 10 kwh? Not sure if that's it, but there's something off. Same for part C. Again, not positive, but fairly certain.

:redface: Yeah, that'd be it!

Sorry, errors fixed.

To the OP:

For question 1, your answer is correct for one day, just multiply by the number of days in a month.

For question2, you're not actually comparing a resistor to a lamp bulb as the question asks.

Yeah, that's kinda why I skipped the second question as well. You sort of made it sound like a graph or something was given, and you just threw the question at us.

Related to What Does It Cost to Use Electrical Appliances in Different Scenarios?

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in physics?

Scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. How do you calculate acceleration in physics?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

4. How does Newton's first law of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This applies to everyday life as objects tend to remain at rest or in motion unless something (such as friction or a push) acts on them.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.