Questions on Basic Axioms for Calculating Probabilities

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axioms
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve problem 1a) which involves expressing a set $A$ as a union of countably many disjoint sets. However, the hint given is confusing because $A_n$ are defined to not be disjoint. To solve this, the sets $B_n=A_n\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{n-1}A_k$ are introduced, which are mutually disjoint and can be used to apply the axiom of σ-additivity. This allows us to complete the equation $P(A)=P(\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n)= \dots=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^n P
nacho-man
Please refer to the attached image.

for problem 1a)
i can see how this makes intuitive sense, however the hint confuses me.

When we are told that $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ why would the hint say to attempt to express $A$ as as a union of countably many disjoint sets, when it is defined not to be disjoint in the question?

$P(A) = P(A_1) + ... + P(A_n)$ as $n$ approaches $\infty$

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Please refer to the attached image.

for problem 1a)
i can see how this makes intuitive sense, however the hint confuses me.

When we are told that $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ why would the hint say to attempt to express $A$ as as a union of countably many disjoint sets, when it is defined not to be disjoint in the question?

$P(A) = P(A_1) + ... + P(A_n)$ as $n$ approaches $\infty$
If $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ then $\cup_{n=1}^{N} A_{n} = A_{N}$ and that means that the sets $A_{n}$ aren't disjoint...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

yes, but the question says to "Express $A$ as a union of countably many disjoint sets".

i don't understand why though.

nacho said:
yes, but the question says to "Express $A$ as a union of countably many disjoint sets".

i don't understand why though.

I also don't understand (Emo) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho said:
The hint says so because for disjoint sets you can apply the axiom of σ-additivity. Yes,$A_n$ are not disjoint, so you have to define sets that are. Consider $B_n=A_n\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{n-1}A_k$. Then $B_n$ are mutually disjoint, $A_n=\bigcup_{k=1}^{n}B_k$ and $\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n=\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B_n$. Using these properties and σ-additivity, complete the following equality.

\[
P(A)=P(\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n)= \dots=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^n P(B_k) =\dots=\lim_{n\to\infty}P(A_n)
\]

1. What are basic axioms?

Basic axioms are statements that are accepted as true without proof. They serve as the foundation of a mathematical system and are used to derive other statements and theorems.

2. Why are basic axioms important?

Basic axioms provide a set of rules that allow us to reason logically and consistently in mathematics. They help to ensure that all mathematical arguments and conclusions are valid.

3. How are basic axioms chosen?

Basic axioms are chosen based on their simplicity, clarity, and ability to accurately describe the mathematical system they are being applied to. They are also chosen to be consistent with other accepted mathematical principles.

4. Can basic axioms be changed?

Basic axioms are typically considered to be unchangeable, as they form the foundation of a mathematical system. However, in certain cases, a new axiom may be introduced if it is found to be more useful or accurate.

5. What is the difference between an axiom and a theorem?

An axiom is an accepted statement that serves as the basis for a mathematical system, while a theorem is a statement that has been proven using axioms and other previously established theorems.