Questions on Waves: Answers to 3 Questions

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the difference in the phase between a reflected and an incident wave is dependent on the medium the waves are reflecting off of. The wave's phase is not changed if it reflects off of a surface with a lower refractive index than the incident one.
fluidistic
Gold Member
My first question is: When a wave gets reflected over a surface, its phase gets delayed by [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] rad or [tex]\pi[/tex] rad, I do not remember. How can I show this? I've access to Hecht's book on Optics but didn't find anything with the change of phase for wave's reflection. If someone could point me the exact page explaining this, I'd be glad. Any website explaining mathematically this is also welcome.

My second question is, if I send a plane wave over a perfect mirror. If the phase of the wave changes by [tex]-\pi rad[/tex] after 1 reflection, the wave will cancel itself?!
I'll have the sum of [tex]\vec E (x,t)=\vec E _0 (\omega t - \vec k \vec x)+ \vec E _0 (\omega t -\vec k \vec x - \pi)=\vec E _0 [\cos (\theta )+ \cos (\theta - \pi ) ]=0[/tex]. It seems obviously wrong, what do I do wrong?

My third question is, how can I show that a spherical wave became a plane wave when [tex]r \to \infty[/tex]? According to http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SphericalWave.html, a spherical wave can be written under the form [tex]\frac{\psi _0}{r} \cos (\omega t -kr + \phi)[/tex] while a plane wave under the form [tex]\psi _0 \cos (\omega t -\vec k \cdot \vec r + \phi)[/tex]. So it seems they took the limit when [tex]r \to 1[/tex]?!

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
For the phase change (among other things):

Reflection at a dielectric boundary

Thanks a lot, it really helped.
I've learned from it that there's a pi rad difference for the reflected wave if it reflexes over a medium with a greater refractive index than the incident one. Also, the refracted wave have no angle delay compared to the incident one. But the surprising thing to me is that the reflected wave doesn't have any phase change if it reflexes over a surface with a lower refractive index than the incident one.
Does that mean that internal reflexion occurring in water doesn't change the phase of the wave? The wave reflects over the surface water/air, but still in water? I'm a bit confused here. Does the wave traveling in water reflexes over water or over air, in case of an internal reflexion?

1. What are the different types of waves?

There are three main types of waves: mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, and matter waves. Mechanical waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum and include light, radio waves, and microwaves. Matter waves, also known as quantum waves, describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What is the difference between amplitude and wavelength?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase. In other words, amplitude measures the height of a wave, while wavelength measures the length of a wave.

3. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy by causing particles in a medium to vibrate. These vibrations create a disturbance that moves through the medium, transferring energy from one location to another. In the case of electromagnetic waves, energy is transferred through a combination of electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can waves be destructive?

Yes, waves can be destructive. When two waves with the same amplitude and wavelength meet, they can interfere constructively, creating a larger wave. However, when two waves with opposite amplitudes and wavelengths meet, they can interfere destructively, canceling each other out.

5. How do waves behave at the boundary between two mediums?

When a wave reaches the boundary between two mediums, it can reflect, refract, diffract, or be absorbed. The behavior of the wave depends on the properties of the two mediums, such as their density and elasticity. For example, a wave will reflect off a solid boundary, refract when passing through a medium with a different density, and diffract when encountering an opening or obstacle.